This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

libc-i686 broken package-SOLVED

Adept updater shows libc-i686 broken.It won't update. Otherwise things are working normally. Should I address this?

Re: libc-i686 broken package

YES, libc is IMPORTANT.

My personal opinion has always been that Adept (which is now out of favor) was NEVER ready for prime time. What has happened is that the package you want has a dependency that Adept isn't noticing. There are two possible solutions:

The easiest (in the long run) install Synaptic, the Gnome package manager. If this is the first Gnome package you've installed, it will drag in an enormous amount of "stuff". I think it's worth it, but you may not. From then on, use the Adept Update Notifier to inform you that updates are available, but then install the updates with Synaptic which is MUCH better at finding dependencies.

The more difficult solution is to use apt-get from the command line (start by typing "man apt-get" in a konsole). You already have this handy-dandy CLI program. Once again, use the Adept Update Notifier to tell you what to update, but then update with apt-get. The problem here is that apt-get will spot the dependencies and NOTIFY you of their existence, but you will have to install them on your own.

Comment

And if not already understood, or commented on here, when using the CLI to 'upgrade', one should use the dist-upgrade (apt-get dist-upgrade) instead of apt-get upgrade. dist-upgrade handles dependencies more intelligently than upgrade does. See man apt-get and look at the descriptions for upgrade vs dist-upgrade.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

In the process of installing Synaptic it automatically noted the missing dependencies and fixed them. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Great. Another happy Kubuntu user.

Please return to your first post in this thread, click the modiy button and add SOLVED to the subject line.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X