X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] - firefox won't start

Problem:
    Firefox comes up after two minutes after clicking on the icon but freezes immediately.

Attempted solutions:
    Purged and reinstalled - no joy
    Deleted ~/.mozilla - no joy
    Purged, reinstalled and deleted ~/.mozilla - no joy
    Started firefox in safe mode - no joy

Further probing:
    installed strace and started from the command line, start hangs with message:
    Code:
    connect(36, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(16001), sin_addr=inet_addr("127.0.0.1")}, 16
    Further attempted solutions:
    Checked /etc/hosts - all clear
    Checked /etc/resolv.conf - all clear

Am using Seamonkey instead but would prefer to get back to firefox but heck, this thing beats me!
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Re: firefox won't start

Hey Toad!

How about disabling IPv6?

Comment

Hey ho!

Thanks dibl - tried that but no joy.
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

The error output seems to be coming from python:

http://twistedmatrix.com/pipermail/t...er/018367.html

Comment

Hm, the machine uses python 2.5.2 which is fine as far as I have gathered.

In the meantime I purged firefox again followed by a sudo apt-get autoremove, clean and autoclean so I would have to download the package again.

But I am still banging my head against the wall

Comment

I haven't run 8.04 in a long time, so I don't remember how it's version of kde does things, but you might want to look at the gtk-to-qt display engines, wherever they are in 8.04. ("System Settings > Appearance > GTK styles and fonts" in kde-4.3) Could be that stuff is choking on the newer versions of FF. Might also try disabling compositing.

Also you might try downloading FF directly from its website & installing it in /opt, and see what it does.

The newest FF/Shiretoko-3.5 seems to be doing weird things for a lot of people.
            We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Cheers, hadn't thought of that. But again, firefox is not impressed by turning off compositing or changing GTK styles.

I forgot to mention that I downloaded an sh version - same error message...

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] - firefox won't start

Okay, solved it. Problem was that the loopback interface lo was not in the /etc/network/interfaces file!

I couldn't ping localhost and firefox didn't like it while all other browsers didn't care.

What do you know

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] - firefox won't start

Huh!

Hard way to learn something, eh? But .... now we know. Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                  X