This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Distribution Version Upgrade?

Ok, here is the deal i just got finished with my updates, and it popped up that i was ready for or i could upgrade if i wanted. But here is my question, this is my only computer and i dont have anything thing else to get on the net with or write or email or games, so whats the chances of something going wrong and the computer not responding to a installed file or the upgrade itself, and im running hardy jeron, so here is my question, anything i need to do before i upgrade and will i run into any problems when upgrading or after wards, i just need to know if it is safe to upgrade?

Re: Distribution Version Upgrade?

Well. There is now guarantee it will be ok. Upgrades are generally ok but sometimes there can be some issues. The single most problematic thing with this release has been ATI binary drivers, if you have those you need to be careful.

In general, though, in order to get the best and the latest you will need to upgrade to the latest release about every six months. This is the best time though, a few months after the release, when many bugs have been ironed out.

Can you burn CD's? I would recommend that you burn the Jaunty Live CD, and you give it a swirl. If you can get an internet connection from there, then I would go ahead with the upgrade, and if things go terriblly wrong you can still boot off the CD and connect to the net, ask for help, etc

Comment

I concur with lmilano but would like go one step further. if I may.

If this is your main/only box then do one thing first.
      Backup your data (/home, etc)

Then consider if an upgrade is really necessary.

If it ain't broke.....

Also, I am not sure if you can upgrade directly to Jaunty (9.04). I believe you will have to upgrade to Intrepid (8.10) first. I don't have very fond memories of Intrepid, but I am biased.

Bear in mind that you will be changing from kde3.x.x to kde4.x.x , I love kde4.x.x but again I am biased.

Being biased one more time and if you do decide to upgrade this is what I would do:

1) Get yourself the partmagic live cd:
      http://partedmagic.com/

There is also some great info about partitioning there.

Partition your disk as follows ( or close to it)

Root ( / ) = 10 - 14 GB formated as ext4
      swap = max 2GB
      Give your /home a separate partition as large as possible and format as ext4.

Giving /home a separate place to live has many advantages, data security being one of them.

If you have a windows and / or data partition leave them alone.

2) Get yourself the latest 9.04 live cd and install from there.
      Remember to use the manual partitioning during installation.

With this method you can assign / , and /home to the corresponding partitions you created above.

Continue with the installation as usual.

I hope all of this was useful and enjoy
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

You don't have to upgrade if you're happy with Hardy.

Just ignore the <Version Upgrade> button.... i do.

If i were you, i would be inclined to download and burn the 9.04 CD and see if you like it... try before you buy.

KDE 4x is very different to KDE 3.5.

As Fintan said: "If it ain't broke....."

Comment

Firstly, I agree with all of the advice given by the previous posts.

Just to add one more option. You said this is your only computer and you don't have anything else to go onto the internet with.

One other option is to consider dual booting. This allows you to use one computer with one hard disk to run two or more systems, for example you could have Hardy and Jaunty or Intrepid and Jaunty or Jaunty and Karmic.

A number of Kubuntu (and Linux) users dual or multi boot. This allows you to have one stable distro - where everything works, then you can try various others such as the latest and have time to get everything working, if there is a problem, you have the stable distro for work and helping to resolve problems on the other distro.

As has already been said, back up everything first.
          HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy83

whats the chances of something going wrong
            The more important this computer is to your daily existence, the more likely something will go wrong. I don't know why it works that way ....

Honestly, it sounds like (a) you are very dependent on it, and (b) you're not confident you can recover from a malfunction if the upgrade breaks. If that's all true, I'd advise you to just leave it alone. It will run satisfactorily for a long time without an upgrade. Perhaps the future will bring you an opportunity to either add a second system to your collection, or else build your skills with Linux, such that you won't fear a broken upgrade.

That's my two cents' worth for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy83

whats the chances of something going wrong
              From the Linixus Arcaneia:
              If it's broke, fix it. If it's working, fixing it is (almost surely) the fastest way to break it.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                From the Linixus Arcaneia:
                May I ask what that is? It doesn't seem to be English and Google returns some random MySpace pages.
                Welcome newbies!
                Verify the ISO
                Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

It's one of the 'secret' tombs of arcane linux lore. Unfortunately, now that I've told you - you did ask - I must now kill you.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Code:
                    kill -9 Telengard && cat killed > curiosi.ty

Comment

See well the thing is my brother upgraded about 2 months ago and i really like KDE 4, but this works just fine maybe i shouldn't get so greedy and stick with what works on my system. And at least im not on windows anymore, i think ill just burn the cd, and give it a whirl, i have a external hard drive to back stuff up with, and thats done every couple months. But i may just give the cd a whirl and if i like it, i may just upgrade, but first thing first

if it aint broke,

Comment

It's one of the 'secret' tombs of arcane linux lore.
                        What do you mean by tomb? None of the definitions for that word seem to fit the context of your sentence.

Originally posted by http://www.answers.com/topic/tomb
                        1. A grave or other place of burial.
                        2. A vault or chamber for burial of the dead.
                        3. A monument commemorating the dead.
                        Unfortunately, now that I've told you - you did ask - I must now kill you.
                        I'm fine with that. Please just share the secrets with me first.
                        Welcome newbies!
                        Verify the ISO
                        Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Originally posted by Telengard
                          Unfortunately, now that I've told you - you did ask - I must now kill you.
                          I'm fine with that. Please just share the secrets with me first.
                          <sits down> <lights joint> <breaks out the popcorn>

Comment

It's one of the 'secret' tombs of arcane linux lore. Unfortunately, now that I've told you - you did ask - I must now kill you.
                            You have to be careful with this one. He may look like a sweet little penguin, but he hides a warrior's soul within.

Comment

Working...
                            X