X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 8.04 End of Life!?

Hey,

I just noticed that Kubuntu 8.04 has an end of life date of October this year, which is one release cycle earlier than the end of life for the rest of the Ubuntu 8.04 release?

I wasn't planning on updating my laptop until the next LTS version of Kubuntu came out (10.04, April 2010). Will it be OK to keep running Hardy between these dates, or will that be a security risk?

Thanks,

Tom

Re: Kubuntu 8.04 End of Life!?

Interesting... I thought this version is supported for 3 years. tnx for info. However, I won't upgrade it just because of that. Security updates are probably the same for every *ubuntu; just KDE related updates won't be available any more... This is just by guess, don't take it seriously!

Comment

There might be a security risk, but who can actually speak of a security risk when talking about Linux? Besides, I remember too what Mr. Penguin said. There was a somewhat heated discussion that Kubuntu Hardy Heron would not be LTS, in which claydoh confirms that the non-KDE parts will get updates.

Alternatively, there is a semi-official KDE 3 remix of Kubuntu Jaunty available. While upgrading from Hardy seems difficult (at least to me, because how can you completely remove KDE 4, I don't know all the kde4 packages by heart), you can install Jaunty KDE3 from CD as usual.

On a side note, when support ends for 8.04, 9.10 is planned to be just around the corner. It should have KDE 4.3 by then, which might persuade you to use KDE 4. Upgrading from Hardy would probably be through 9.04 to 9.10, but then you would not have the security risk.

Comment

If I'm not impressed by 9.10 or another KDE4 distro, I'll switch to Debian 5.0 or another distro based on it.
        AMD Sempron 2800 | 1 GB | Geforce 4 Ti 4200 | Kubuntu 8.04

Comment

Like the OP, I'm planning to stay with Hardy until the next LTS. Admittedly, I'm a little concerned about uptates until then. (Where is the list of packages which will get updates for Hardy?)

I want to keep using Hardy because:
          • It works right out of the box with my computer
          • Intrepid doesn't
          • KDE 3 is intuitive and performs well for me
          • KDE 4 isn't and doesn't

I'm not bashing KDE 4, and it's encouraging to read so many posts from people for whom it works.
          Welcome newbies!
          Verify the ISO
          Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Originally posted by samwyse
            If I'm not impressed by 9.10 or another KDE4 distro, I'll switch to Debian 5.0 or another distro based on it.
            I was using Debian 4.0 before switching to Kubuntu 7.04, then 7.10, then 8.04, then 8.10, now 9.04.
            I've tried Debian 5.0.0 on my dual boot box and quickly replaced it with Sidux and Archlinux and now Ubuntu Jaunty. I'm waiting for Karmic Alpha 2 tomorrow to begin downloading that.

It's your choice, but of all of the distro's I've tried lately, I'm happier with the current version of Kubuntu.
            HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

If you want to stick with Hardy until another LTS is released, why not download and install Ubuntu 8.04 LTS -- available here: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download -- it will be supported until April 2011.

It's a simple matter to run sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop to get the full Kubuntu desktop installed.

Further information and instructions are here: http://www.debianadmin.com/install-k...in-ubuntu.html

Comment

Originally posted by aged hippy
                If you want to stick with Hardy until another LTS is released, why not download and install Ubuntu 8.04 LTS -- available here: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download -- it will be supported until April 2011.

It's a simple matter to run sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop to get the full Kubuntu desktop installed.

Further information and instructions are here: http://www.debianadmin.com/install-k...in-ubuntu.html
                Well yes...but there is no difference in length of support for the kde desktop between ubuntu+kde and kubuntu (in both of them the non kde-parts are LTS, and the kde desktop is not...after all, they use the same repositories)

Comment

Wouldn't not supporting the KDE packages make Ubuntu 8.04 also non LTS, unless they'll delete KDE from the repos. Or maybe there will be a warning if you're installing KDE software. Does the regular Ubuntu user know KDE goes out of support mid Ubuntu LTS?
                  AMD Sempron 2800 | 1 GB | Geforce 4 Ti 4200 | Kubuntu 8.04

Comment

Support entails security updates, and not much else. LTS status is a longer period of time that Ubuntu will provide these updates.

So you will continue to get these security updates to the kernel, drivers, xorg, and all the other core parts of the OS. Nothing will stop working and KDE will not be removed from the Hardy repos, KDE bits just won't get any more security fixes (when was the last time we saw any kde related fixes?)

Comment

Thank You for clearing that up, claydoh, i do tend to have problems understanding things, but you've set my mind at rest.

Comment

I haven't tried Jaunty on my main computer (got it installed on my more disposable spares and laptops/netbooks), but the "semi-official" (as the Kubuntu frontpage once called them) KDE 3.5 repo and remix is always tempting me. For now though my Hardy computer is running fine, and since Hardy is an LTS there's tons of software out there that trickles back down (for example, there's a PPA for OpenOffice 3, and the official VirtualBox repositories include a Hardy one right up with the rest). Also it would spoil my uptime (and thus how far my computer could run if it had legs) to go to another kernel, so I'm thinking I'll schedule my next reboot to coincide with the next LTS

Comment

Working...
                        X