This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kmail / Kontact oddities

I have been using Kontact for my email client for months, but just barely a week ago, my Gmail POP setup stopped working. So I tried out the IMAP setup. That doesn't work either. I duplicate my setup in Thunderbird and it works fine, so I know it is not my setup nor Gmail funkiness.

All Kmail does is sit there saying retrieving messages. When it was set up for POP, it would just say "No new messages". It never said there was a communication problem or anything. I ran it from the Konsole to see if there were any errors there, and this is what is spit out:
    Code:
    paul@enterprise:~$ kontact
    kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::plugAccel(): call to deprecated action.
    paul@enterprise:~$ WeaverThreadLogger: thread (ID: 1) suspended.
    WeaverThreadLogger: thread (ID: 2) suspended.
    WeaverThreadLogger: thread (ID: 3) suspended.
    WeaverThreadLogger: thread (ID: 4) suspended.
    kontact: ERROR: : couldn't create slave : Unable to create io-slave:
    klauncher said: Unknown protocol 'cid'.
    kontact:
    Another thing weird about Kontact/Kmail, it is not accepting my system colors. Here is a screencap to better explain it:
    [img width=400 height=320]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a130/phin666/Screencap.jpg[/img]

I don't know if the color thing is significant, but it is damn weird. Any help appreciated.

Re: Kmail / Kontact oddities

It's very likely that it's a GMail issue, and not a problem with KMail. Check both the Incoming and Outgoing Mail Server settings in Thunderbird, even advanced settings, and compare them to KMail.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I have both servers set up identically. Also, I do not think that the Gmail settings would have an effect on the appearance either.

Do you happen to know where the configuration folder for Kontact is? Maybe if I remove that folder (or rename it) it will reset it to default config?

Comment

Look in ~/.kde/share/apps/

On my HH KDE 4.1.2 system, there is a korganizer and kmail folder.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I removed the kmail folder, but that did not seem to do anything. All my emails, and server settings were still stored in Kmail.

Are there any other places to find it?

Comment

I am still struggling with this problem. I purged Kontact and all associated apps and then only installed Kmail. I no longer have the color problem, but I still cannot send or receive email. I went ahead a installed Thunderbird and set it up identically to Kmail and it works flawlessly with either IMAP or POP. Gmail IMAP is slow as hell, but it works.

The thing that totally confuses me is that Kmail worked fine for months. What could have started this?

Comment

I've had it the other way round - TB would not pick up my gmail pop while Kontact did so without fail I bet there is some issue which I overlooked, but checking these bastard settings my eyes just go all over the place (not that I am suggesting that the same happened to you )

As for system colours, that is indeed weird. Have a look at the kmailrc file in ~/.kde/share/config

HTH
              Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I have not figured out what was causing the color problem, but that issue seems to be gone. But I finally did figure out the email retrieval problem. I have my desktop assigned a static IP address so I can access it easily from my laptop. If I change it from a manual connection to a automatic configuration, lo and behold Kmail works.

Everything else works fine with my assigned IP address; Ktorrent, Konqueror, Firefox, Thunderbird, Kopete, Akregator, Konversation, Adept... bascally anything that needs an internet connection. So why on earth would Kmail have a problem with static IP addresses?

Comment

Hm, I've got a static IP address...
                  Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by marriedman
                    I have not figured out what was causing the color problem, but that issue seems to be gone. But I finally did figure out the email retrieval problem. I have my desktop assigned a static IP address so I can access it easily from my laptop. If I change it from a manual connection to a automatic configuration, lo and behold Kmail works.
                    Might be an issue with dns - if with a manual connection you might have had inccorrect dns entries. Of course that should have been an issue for everything else ...

Comment

Okay, my gmail account has stopped working with Kontact now as well - actually only a day after I posted stating the contrary (Murphy did have a point!).

I am not too fussed about it but rather puzzled...

Comment

Knetworkmanager is the culprit. If you remove it though, nothing works. It is also a known bug. This is an inexcusable bug IMO.

Comment

Working...
                        X