X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connecting two systems

Hi All,

I have two computers, In one I have installed Ubuntu and in other I have installed Kubuntu. I want to share Data between these two systems, without any external devices such as pen drive. Is it possible, please advice me to achieve this both in Hardware and Software area.

Regards,
    Srikrishnan

Re: Connecting two systems

Hi,

I do the following while on the road - using dyndns I simply log myself into my desktop from wherever using ssh. Sometimes I do it on the command line, sometimes I use konqueror. For other stuff I use NXnomachine.

So if you just want to share data you could simply assign them static ip addresses within your home network and log in via ssh - again, command line and gui in the form of konqueror are at your disposal.

I am sure there are other options out there such as NFS (but I don't know a lot about that )

Wait and see what others suggest...
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Re: Connecting two systems

Hi,

Wow, there are so many options that you might explore. I'll point you towards two between which you could chose.

-------------
      The first one you could use depends on your computers being non-portable and having a good and reliable network connection. I.e. two PC's and a router/switch.
      PC1 (largest disk) setup as NFS server for /home directory. Needs a fixed IP address
      PC2 mounts NFS server's /home directory as /home.

This one is rock solid but has security implications. NFS has (as of yet) no encryption or authentication. This means that you don't want to use it if other people have access to your network.
      The altenative is to use Samba in the same setup. It does have authentication (very good) but I don't know about encryption. Perhaps something with ssl/tls?
      !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT ever expose NFS or Samba to the internet. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      -------------
      The other option is the one I use because I use a laptop and cannot be sure I have access to my NFS/Samba shares. This option again assumes one computer (PC1) to act as a server. It has a fixed IP address and, in general, moves no more than a few inches per year.
      Install the openssh-server and unison packages on the server. Configure and start openssh on the server.
      Install the unison-gtk package on the client (PC2). Configure a default.prf file that lists all the files and directories to synchronize and ignore between the server and the client.
      This option is secure (it uses ssh to transmit the data) and it works.
      -------------

I'm sure there are several other options to explore. Have fun and keep learning.

Greets Aad-Jan.

Comment

Working...
      X