This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do I listen to bbc radio??

I can't get bbc radio to play via konqueror or firefox. BBC world service comes in great on my nokia n810 but nothing works on HH 8.04.
    I tried Enlightenment once, it was pretty cool.

Re: how do I listen to bbc radio??

I just fiddled it into playing from this site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/news/

When I first clicked on the "Listen Live" link, it came up with Windows Media Player "x"d, but Real Player was the other possibility. I left it on Windows Media Player. The next window has a "launch in standalone player" link and I clicked that, but it didn't play.

Then I opened mplayer.

Then I went back and clicked "launch in standalone player" again. After a minute the audio stream began to play.

Firefox "Help > About" says "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.0.3) Gecko/2008092515 Ubuntu/8.10 (intrepid) Firefox/3.0.1". I've got mozilla-plugin-gnash and mozilla-mplayer installed.

After it started playing, I could close mplayer and the stream continues to play.

Comment

I copied and pasted the URL in totem and it worked. You can add it to the Playlist and save the Playlist and open it from there in the future.

Comment

Also works in VLC. Ditto on the Playlist feature.

Comment

Get's even weirder, I've just had a quick look at Radio 2, I can get the listen again facility working with no problems at all, but when it comes to whatever's currently playing, I get bog all.

It's the same "iplayer" window, just a different programme selected.

I still don't know why the bleedin' Beeb, can't sort out ****e problems like this!
          What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away! Tom Waits.

Comment

Well, i don't know why i bothered - when i can listen to it on the radio - but i just installed Mplayer, and it opened the stream with no problem.

A handy thing to know, thank you for the info.

Edited to add:

It asks to "Open in a stand-alone player", and it's as sweet as a nut.

Comment

I have not had any problems with this since they went more linux friendly and 'let' us use it a while back. The iplayer thing always works ...uses flash as opposed to the real player I used to have to use.

I have found though that I cannot any longer download the files to listen to later which is a pain as I would like to listen to them on my mp3 player and not at the pc.
              Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Comment

Thanks for all the help. still not playing. I have mozilla mplayer plugin and the gnash plugin. I get connection refused in the embedded mplayer module. Konqueror does nothing. Tried the copy and paste into vlc and nothing. Installing totem now. we'll see.

Comment

That "connection refused" sounds a bit suspicious to me, especially as you can't open it with vlc either....

Do you use a firewall?

Comment

Ok! finally got it working. Thanks to all who replied. Does anyone know how to do a petition to get BBC to add or switch to an OGG stream?

Comment

Working...
                    X