X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Melted hard drive?

This might be a bit general for these forums, but I figured I'd risk it:

My MythTV machine running kubuntu yesterday seemed to lose the secondary hard drive I have in it. The drive won't mount (mount suggests there's no filesystem or the superblock is bad), and at boot it gives a whole host of "Buffer I/O error on hdb" errors.

fsck and e2fsck don't seem to think there's a filesystem on the drive.

Is there anything I can do to fix things? Or should I just call the data recovery people?

There's nothing terribly important on the drive, so if it's gone, it's not the end of the world. It would be nice to get the file back though.

Re: Melted hard drive?

If the data is valuable (i.e. you're willing to pay $$$ to have it) then the data recovery route is what you need.

If you can kiss the data good-bye with no regrets, then I'd say boot a GParted Live CD and use that to delete the partition and make a new one, and format it.

It's possible that the drive itself (the media or mechanicals) is going bad -- if that's the case, it will happen again after re-partitioning and reformatting. So don't put highly valuable data on it until your faith in it has been restored.

Comment

Thanks Dibl, and darn. Nothing too important on the drive - just a music collection and a few videos.

Awkward to get things back up and running though.

Cheers.

Comment

If you can boot Kubuntu, gparted is at KMenu > System > Partition Editor. That might be good enough to re-format that bad drive.

Comment

Working...
        X