This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

firefox 3/Kubuntu

I have the latest ff3 installed with 8.04 and kde 3.5.10. Under preferences application in ff3 nothing is listed although I have vlc, plugin and flash installed. Also Ktorrent. When downloading a torrent file, I get a warning to check my preferences even though nothing is listed in applications. Tried reinstall and remove/install still nota.

Re: firefox 3/Kubuntu

Same here, that box for preferences is empty.

But all things you mention work.
    So there must be another system that makes these links work.

I have installed Flash manually straight from the Adobe site and use the mozilla-mplayer plug in for streaming media.
    I use VLC just as a stand alone player, mainly for iso's.

When downloading a .torrent it is first saved to disk and then I open it in Ktorrent.

Comment

MMMM I have no problem with the actual .torrent file, but ktorrent (or whatever you're using) has to open in order to download the data of the .torrent. Firefox will not open the application ktorrent in order to process the .torrent data. Just sez check my preferences. Under edit/preferences/applications is blank, my flash player is working along with other plugins listed. But Ktorrent is not a plugin but a helper application. Fire fox in kubuntu is hozed.

Comment

That application preferences is to tell FF how to open files it doesn't already know how to open. Multimedia files are handled by plugins, but suppose you try to open a MS Word document file. FF doesn't know what program to use so you have to tell it. Once you've done that an entry will appear in that block. When there are entries, they can be edited. You won't see it used much, because I think FF just uses the system default for most files. So my example is not good, because it would probably open in OOWriter. I could be wrong on this, correct me if you have better information.

Comment

http://blog.turbulentsky.com/2008/05...reference.html

Comment

Thanks. That worked like a charm. I could change some settings in a very easy way.

Comment

Thank you! Worked for me after I rebooted, all is well. I know powers to be are pushing konquerer but you would think dependenicies would be considered for Firefox.

Comment

Working...
              X