This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to enter administrator mode?

I want to add new user.. I think there should be "users and groups" icon in System Settings but there ain't... I think that I should switch to admin mode but I can't find a way to do that... Under Network Settings there is NO administrator button.

Re: How to enter administrator mode?

There is

I'm running a Dutch version so I might be slightly off in the translation,
    System Settings/
    Computer Settings/
    User Management/
    Hit button at right bottom

Comment

There is no Computer Settings/... in my version of Kubuntu 8.04 system settings

Comment

Here is screenshot if it helps to solve this out...
        Attached Files

Comment

Try this. In Konsole Terminal Program input:
          sudo useradd [new username]
          then
          sudo passwd [new password]
          "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
          "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by arochester
            Try this. In Konsole Terminal Program input:
            then
            sudo passwd [new password]
            the last command should read
            sudo passwd [new username]

Comment

merlin2002, it looks like you are running KDE4, and currently the user config tool is not yet in System Settings. But it is in the Kmenu under Applications -- System -- User Manager. Its way at the bottom, you'll need to scroll down to see it

Comment

Oops. Of course claydoh is correct!
                "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
                "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
                  merlin2002, it looks like you are running KDE4, and currently the user config tool is not yet in System Settings. But it is in the Kmenu under Applications -- System -- User Manager. Its way at the bottom, you'll need to scroll down to see it
                  I dont have it there and not in system settings also, its missing completely from the menus.

I also have couple of other questions/problems:

1. if i push the power button, i would like to get the popup with choices (restart, shutdown, logoff etc), right now it shuts down immediately
                  (i have a 2 year old, i'm a bit tired already )

2.how do i add icons to quick launch ? It seems i can add them from favorites, but after reboot they are gone.

3.is there any way to add "edit file as root", "run file as root" to dolphin into right click menu?

4. how do i associate printscr key with ksnapshot ?

5. how do i teach dolphin to install .deb files ? (click, ask for password, install) ?

Oh, i forgot, i'm running 64 edition with kde 4.1 (from launchpad repo)

Comment

I don't have it either there.

I tried:
                    sudo passwd [new username]

It created user ok but can't login with new user because system doesn't create any directories etc. for this new user.
                    I can't understand why there isn't any tool for kde4 to manage users/groups.

Comment

I installed package kuser (KDE3). I think this problem is solved

Comment

cool. I was going to install hardy and see what was missing there. I imagine it just isn't installed by default as in hardy you should still be able to use the KDE3 tools

Ok now for some other tips:
                        1) those options can be adjusted in System Settings' Session management tools -make sure both boxes in the "general" section are checked

2)Your faves should stay, so there is something broken there (works fine in Intrepid)
                        There is currently no quicklauncher applet unless you add it from rog131's ppa repo, which has some extra plasmoids and other neat bits

3)See point 2

4) Haven't figured that out yet

5)gdebi-kde is used to do this in intrepid, not sure if there is one for Hardy in their KDE4 repo. You may need to adjust file associations to point it to the kde3 version (/usr/bin/gdebi-kde)

Comment

Working...
                        X