Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing Xampp, snort and the mysql problem!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Xampp, snort and the mysql problem!

hi guys! i hope all the great minds here will give me a hand on this. i've posted this around the net, but till now i got zero answers! let's hope that someone might have a say.. here's what's going on..

i have a kubuntu 8.04 distro and i want to work on an IDS, snort in this case. i knew it could log into a database, so i chose xampp, which apart from mysql gives a full package of an apache server, php, etc, which comes pretty handy with what i want to do. BUT, the problem is that although i think i have configured everything perfectly, i cannot make snort to work with the database. here's what i did:

./configure --with-mysql=/opt/lampp <-- which is where mysql is installed, but lacks the header file mysql.h

that command line gave (for many people!) the known output:

ERROR: unable to find mysql headers (mysql.h)
    checked in the following places
    /opt/lampp/
    /opt/lampp//include
    /opt/lampp//include/mysql
    /opt/lampp//mysql
    /opt/lampp//mysql/include

so, the misfortune is that because of the missing header file these 2 cannot work together. i also, installed the libmysql++-devel or something like that, but it doesn't matter anyway, i think.

after that, i tried to make

./configure --with-mysql

and use the default settings, but this generates another problem. it doesn't use the mysql files installed by xampp (/opt/lampp), instead uses the lidmysql++-dev-whatever headers (i think), it configures right, but when trying to do something like this:

snort -d -l ./log -c ./snort.conf

it shows the other well known output (and it should, since there were no linking between the mysql i want to use and snort):

ERROR: If this build of snort was obtained as a binary distribution (e.g., rpm,
    or Windows), then check for alternate builds that contains the necessary
    'mysql' support.

If this build of snort was compiled by you, then re-run the
    the ./configure script using the '--with-mysql' switch.
    For non-standard installations of a database, the '--with-mysql=DIR'
    syntax may need to be used to specify the base directory of the DB install.

See the database documentation for cursory details (doc/README.database).
    and the URL to the most recent database plugin documentation.
    Fatal Error, Quitting..

so, i guess there must be a problem or a difference with the standard installation of mysql and the mysql of xampp, which misses mysql.h. i'm open to any kind of suggestions and solutions. but most of all, i want to know if it can be done with snort and Xampp!

huge thanx in advance from all of you guys!
    Desktop: Kubuntu 9.10 | amd 64 athlonX2 5600+ | 2GB ram | asus m2n-e sli | msi 8500GT | 2X320 western digital<br /><br />Laptop: Kubuntu 10.04 RC &amp; Windows 7 Pro | Compaq CQ61-430EV | intel T4400 | 2GB ram | nvidia G103M 512MB | 1X250GB HD

Re: Installing Xampp, snort and the mysql problem!

You can probably streamline this whole process if you avoid Xampp altogether. In Windows Xampp is great, but it's really easy to install your lamp stuff directly in kubuntu and it should work with snort without too much fuss.

Here's a thread I found that has a few options for setting up a lamp configuration. http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ubu...p-kubuntu.html

Comment

Re: Installing Xampp, snort and the mysql problem!

yeah, i'm sure that this will work eventually, but this whole situation got on my nerves and i HAVE TO find a way with xampp. or at least to know for sure if it's not doable!

thanx for the heads up!
      Desktop: Kubuntu 9.10 | amd 64 athlonX2 5600+ | 2GB ram | asus m2n-e sli | msi 8500GT | 2X320 western digital<br /><br />Laptop: Kubuntu 10.04 RC &amp; Windows 7 Pro | Compaq CQ61-430EV | intel T4400 | 2GB ram | nvidia G103M 512MB | 1X250GB HD

Comment

Working...
      X