This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

codec path for libdvdcss in xine

ok dumped my nicely tweaked out Hardy platform with a (duh bimbo) accidental reformat on the wrong partition. I'm trying to rebuild and i DON'T have Internet. (i'm in a cybercafe and can't lug my desktop). I'm almost there but i need help:

By apt-cdrom'ing in a set of debian etch mirror CDs i have recovered many of the packages that don't come on the kubuntu CD (yes i know etch and hardy are not the same but it's working alright, for now). I have had to download libdvdcss as source from a cafe machine (ps, anyone notice it's impossible to get ubuntu debs from a winmachine? is it just me?). i have successfully made and installed the software - no errors in creation and it's living in /usr where it should be.

How do i tell xine where to find it? I remember looking in Kaffeine's "xine engine parameters" menu and seeing paths to libdvdcss - i just can't recall the details YOU can help

Can some nice person please either a) tell me where codec paths can be configured for xine, and/or b) just go through your "xine engine parameters" tab in kaffeine and send screenshots or dictate which fields need to be referenced to the codec?

Thank you guys

Re: codec path for libdvdcss in xine

Ryanne, you may not have to download anything.
    If your computer is running again, try clicking on the VDC button...in Kaffeine.
    This should load the lbdvdcss2 codecs, for you.
    You've looked into the 'xine parameters'....of Kaffeine. To know it is there.
    I lucked onto this, by pure chance, using the VCD button ,instead of trying the DVD button. (Kept getting the "DVD encrypted' crap, doing this.)
    Just follow what is asked of you.
    Having a DVD handy, I put DVD in, and it played straight-away. (If doesn't, click on the DVD button and it should.)

Comment

OK i finally was able to collect a deb here and there from machines of friends... NOW i have libdvdcss2 installed AND correctly routed in Xine.

However, when i pop a dvd in, a window called "codec installer" appears. THEN i get another msgbox saying, "Error: the codec is already installed." and it dumps out!

aaaakkkkkkk! i love linux ... i hate linux ... HHHEEEEELLLLPPP (giggle)

Comment

ok i dug and found a python script in /usr/lib/kaffeine (WHY did it have to be Python? )

tried to gimmick it by cp install-codecs install-codecs.dist and then shoved in a dummy file (basically just dcop kaffeine {and now i can't remember all the arguments! sorri} "

anyway it didn't work.

Has anybody wrenched on this stuff? I DO NOT have internet available from my ubuntu machine.

Comment

Working...
        X