Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

kstars-kde4 requires, conflicts with, and replaces indi-kde4, PARDON?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kstars-kde4 requires, conflicts with, and replaces indi-kde4, PARDON?

I tried to update my kstars-kde4 installation. Adept tells me it BREAKS (install), the details that matter are:

replaces: indi-kde4
    conflict: indi-kde4
    required: indi-kde4

Like I said in the subject: PARDON?

So I uninstalled indi-kde4 and kstars-kde4, end result, I can't install kstars-kde4, and now I can't even run what I had because kstars-kde4 is uninstalled.

How do I fix this?

Re: kstars-kde4 requires, conflicts with, and replaces indi-kde4, PARDON?

Code:
    sudo apt-get install --force-yes ...
    maybe?
    could be dangerous...

or...
    download the package you need (download only, no install).
    unpack.
    fix dependencies.
    pack again.
    install.

hth
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Whether I attempt a download only or force install, this is essentially what I get:

carl@joshua:~$ sudo apt-get install kstars-kde4 -d
      [sudo] password for carl:
      Reading package lists... Done
      Building dependency tree
      Reading state information... Done
      Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
      requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
      distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
      or been moved out of Incoming.

Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
      the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
      that package should be filed.
      The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
      kstars-kde4: Conflicts: indi-kde4 but 4:4.0.3-0ubuntu1 is to be installed
      E: Broken packages

I don't even seem to be able to download the package to fix it.

Comment

You are not alone sleepless-knight. I have exactly the same situation on my system, and it has been that way for the last couple of days. I have been waiting for a fix, but nothing seems to change.

Comment

Hopefully this gets some prompt actions:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...e4/+bug/266968

Comment

My workaround for now:
            • Extracted /var/cache/apt/archives directory from my last full disk image backup to my external HDD. Main point being that I did not un-tar it to my current root /
            • Copied the package of the prior version of kstars-kde4 to /var/cache/apt/archives.
            • No amount of coercing apt-get, kpackage or others would install from this old package, so I extracted data.tar.gz from the package, and the un-tarred it in my root / i.e. tar -xvvzf /data.tar.gz

I now have a working kstars-kde4 installation albeit the older version - still better than a newer version that can't be installed!

Now I will wait for the newest package of kstars-kde4 to be fixed.

Comment

Does anyone know if anything is being done on this? Or if there is something I can do myself to fix things? In addition I now have the broken K3b update on my list of updates not being implemented on my system.

Comment

Using sudo apt-get upgrade you will find that the new K3b has been held back.

Run adept and update, Then select preview update. Right click on K3b and select install. It will then remove 1 or 2 packages, install a couple of new ones plus the new K3b.

Comment

Thank you, Liquidator. One problem solved. But does anybody have any idea how to fix the kstars-kde4 problem? I still get a message that the package will break if upgraded. Also the entire kdeedu-kd4 package will be removed if i remove kstars. If I try upgrading the kdeedu-kde4 package, adept updater tells me that kstars and indi-kde4 packages will be removed, and kdeedu will break.

Comment

I don't use the program, but perhaps you can delete the config file of Kstars (after backup of course), Then try to remove the program.

Comment

It's been fixed and Kstars updates now with no break

Comment

Working...
                      X