X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kwin alt tab effects not working

Hi

I am having some problems with the desktop effects in kde4, well ive upgraded to kde4.1. I am not using compiz but want the nice alt+tab effects that are built into kwin. They were working but dont seem to be working now. I have turned them on in system settings->Desktop. I am looking for the cover switch or the flip switch to work, but neither do. When i hit alt+tab now, the windows just raise one on top of the other. A box doesnt even apear with all the other windows in it. The other effects seem to work tho like the login and logout and a few others. It just seems to be the window management that is acting up. It worked before, and I dont what changed. I dont see the point in installing compiz when the effects i want are already there in kwin.

Re: kwin alt tab effects not working

Look in K Menu > Computer > System Settings > Desktop > Desktop Effects > All Effects > Window Management for the options to be checked (activated).
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I have tried checking each one there separately with no success. Id settle for the Box Switch but this doesn't appear to work either. The desktop effects are enabled as the other effects do work. It just appears to be the window management ones that are not working.

Comment

I ended up installing compiz so i have the effects now but i could not figure out why kwin window management stopped.

Comment

I also had the same problem for ages; the alt-tab effects worked fine upon initial install of kubuntu, or with the creation of a new user. Soon after configuring stuff how I liked it, the nice alt-tab effects went away.

Through trial and error, I discovered the setting that affected the alt-tab:

IF you set "Configure Window Behaviour..." > "Focus" > "Focus Under Mouse", then the alt-tab effects disappear. Any other setting in this drop-down leaves the alt-tab effects alone.

I have no idea if this is a bug or a feature, but I find that "Focus Follows Mouse" is similar enough, and I get to keep the alt-tab "Cover Switch" effect that I like.

- tony
          Confucius says: If you enjoy your work, then you never have to work another day in your life.

Comment

Working...
          X