This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating Ghost images of Kubuntu

I have a question, I have created a Ghost image of my Kubuntu PC, it works just fine, however, the "boot progress bar" gets lost, instead of the animated progress bar it displays the "text" of the devices, libraries, etc being loaded, is just a cosmetic issue, but what it puzzles me is that an image, so, what gets lost during the imaging process?

Re: Creating Ghost images of Kubuntu

Hmm. Seeing the progress bar vs seeing the boot messages "in all their glory" is controlled by the quiet and splash options in the Grub menu.lst kernel lines:
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-19-generic root=UUID=7fdf0d2b-dd11-441c-a577-4936232049f2 ro quiet splash
    If splash is missing, you don't see the progress bar. If quiet is missing, you see all the boot messages.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Actually I have that issue with my laptop after upgrading when HH was released. If I remove quiet and splash in different combinations, I still get no progress bar and all the nice text. I've yet to figure out why. Wasn't going to worry about it until II 8.10 was released as that is when I will update it to KDE4.1. Hopefully it doesn't persist after a total re-Install. I know this doesn't help, just to confirm that it might be an issue due to something else.

Comment

I don't mind seeing the "glorious" load, but it's very peculiar that something gets lost when imaging back.

If I reinstall I get the "silent" boot.

I'll have to do some research.

Comment

As in Windows, if you do not expose the 'hidden' System Files (these are 'protected' by the "Adimistrative Mode"......so people with 'nasty intentions' ca NOT alter your System Files)..........doing a 'Ghost' of your OS, what do you think is going to happen?
          Exactly what did happen.
          You make a 'ghost'...of your OS. (with the vital System Files still 'locked up'..by the "Administrative Mode").
          And, now, there are 'parts'...missing.
          When you use the 'ghost version'.

Was you hoping to do an install.....with All of your Linux OS (regardless of what 'distro' you are using)......as a way of 'short-cutting' the Installation process?

Or, especially if you are using a 'ghost-ed' distro......from another person's machine. (Again, to avoid the lenghty process of installing the 'distro'...from scratch.)

Cute idea, but, dumb as hell.

(Remember how many applications there are, in Linux.......with "Administrative Mode" attached? You miss just one! And that 'ghosted' distro is never going to work. Properly.)
          I had a computer technician do the same thing ...... to my Windows-based computer, years ago. (And, he made the same mistake.......leaving the System Files 'hidden').
          The result.
          My computer worked, all right.
          For about an half-hour, then, 'died'. (because it was 'missing' ....vital 'hidden' System Files.)

My solution?

Do a complete re-install. With a 'bona-fide' distro.....not a 'half-baked' one.

Comment

Cute idea, but, dumb as hell
            I don't think you are very familiar with Drive Images, and that "tech" who helped you really didn't do a good job or didn't have a clue what he/she was doing.

An image is a BIT BY BIT clone copy of your hard drive, totally independent of OS, file locks, etc, that has nothing to do, I appreciate your input, but you need to really understand what imaging is all about.

Comment

Originally posted by NJ_Dude
              Cute idea, but, dumb as hell
              I don't think you are very familiar with Drive Images, and that "tech" who helped you really didn't do a good job or didn't have a clue what he/she was doing.

An image is a BIT BY BIT clone copy of your hard drive, totally independent of OS, file locks, etc, that has nothing to do, I appreciate your input, but you need to really understand what imaging is all about.
              Correct.

Comment

Working...
              X