This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dpkg always locked!

I have -just- installed 8.04.1 from the alternative install CD, since installing from the live CD didn't work. In Adept very few programs are visible from any software categoy. The ones that are visible and aren't installed are all grayed out. When I go into Software Sources and select or deselect some sources, then reload my source list, it complains that dpkg is locked. I've tried "sudo dpkg --configure -a", as the error message suggested. I've also tried "sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock", as was a suggestion I found. I can't seem to do anything to get either adept, apt-get, or aptitude to work! Please help.

Re: dpkg always locked!

To fix Adept errors:

Open a console and type:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    should fix it, else continue with
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clean
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install
    Does the first command result in the error about dpkg being locked? If it does, then remove the lock file again, and at the same time, remove the lock files from /var/cache/apt/archives and /var/cache/apt/archives/partial and then rerun the above commands.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Well, if you've only -just- installed it, adept may be automatically updating the package lists in the background, which will lock dpkg.

Press ctrl+esc to open up a list of running processes. Search for apt-get, aptitude, dpkg, and adept(_manager, _updater, etc.). If any of these are currently running, they'll lock up dpkg.

You can kill these programs ("sudo killall <program name>"), but if you do, you might risk interrupting something.

Comment

Okay! Thanks. I guess I just had to do "sudo dpkg --configure -a" and then "sudo apt-get update". Thanks again.

Comment

If you're problem has been resolved (it has, yes?), please return to your first post in this thread and click the modify button and add SOLVED to the subject line.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X