This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ultamatix

Has anybody else used Ultamatix, the successor to Automatix? I stumbled across it the other day and it seems to be pretty good especially for new users struggling to find extra codecs etc.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ultam...ix-90801.shtml

Re: Ultamatix

I agree Automatix seemed very helpful when I first attempted to get proprietary drivers and codecs installed, but the consequences of using it were ugly. It has the ability to overwrite your sources list and your /etc/fstab file, and in the process it can make mistakes that leave your system in exactly the wrong state for a new user (i.e. badly broken).

In the long run, even the newest of the noobs is better off to learn, one step at a time, the RIGHT way(s) to change sources and install needed packages. At least that's my opinion.

Happily, ntfs-3g, flash player plugins, and some of the other previously "special" packages are now standard with Kubuntu and there is less need for helper programs like Automatix.

Comment

This isn't Automatix and what I've seen so far is impressive. A lot of people don't have the time or inclination to add extra repositories etc. If you want Kubuntu to become more user friendly then this is worth supporting, that's my opinion.

Comment

Agree with dibl.

Simple: Install it; then test your system through a kernel upgrade.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
          Agree with dibl.

Simple: Install it; then test your system through a kernel upgrade.
          I will use it if and until it breaks something, I have had to reload KDE 4.0x several times so far hence am pretty familiar with the orthodox route.

Comment

It just occurred to me that with the official KDE 4.1 coming out tomorrow I will most likely start from scratch rather than upgrade from 4.1 RC1, that ought to give it a good test.

Comment

Originally posted by tomp01

I will most likely start from scratch rather than upgrade from 4.1 RC1, that ought to give it a good test.
              Are you going to install it on Intrepid RC1?

Comment

[/quote]

Are you going to install it on Intrepid RC1?
                [/quote]

No HH 8.04.

Comment

"Ultamatix! It is actually based on Automatix, therefore it looks and acts exactly the same."

If truth in advertising is to be believed, then this is reason enough (for me) not to use it.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                    "Ultamatix! It is actually based on Automatix, therefore it looks and acts exactly the same."

If truth in advertising is to be believed, then this is reason enough (for me) not to use it.
                    Yes, base as in they have taken Automatix and fixed the problems, hopefully.

Comment

What is quite ironic considering all the negative reactions to Automatix2 and Ultamatix is that they are both available in Adept for download. Obviously not everybody thinks the same way.

Comment

That's not necessarily an accurate observation. That they are available in the repositories merely shows that 'choice' is what *ubuntu is all about. It doesn't imply however, that the choice is always 'good.'
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                        X