X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xorg, Firefox, hogging CPU...again

Hello All:

I am experiencing the same huge CPU usage with Firefox, Xorg, on my desktop, but not my laptop (identical install). I reckon it has something to do with the AMD motherboard's built in video card (not sure what it is), and the driver xorg uses. My laptop (Dell Inspirion 9400) does not exhibit this behaviour.

I have attached a screenshot of just one tab open (Facebook) and you can see the CPU usage is out of control. Is there a default way to edit the xorg.conf file to use a "standard" driver?

Cheers,

t.

On another note, perhaps this is why my Mathematica keeps crashing when I try to start the Frontend, that is, X hogs some much of the CPU it logs me out....hmmmm
    Attached Files
    GPG Key ID# 0x3AE05130

Re: Xorg, Firefox, hogging CPU...again

Firefox is known to be fairly resource hungry, although it shouldn't go over a few percent of the total. It looks like your xorg + FF is really sucking the resources.

Use lspci and/or hwinfo (needs to be installed) in the Konsole to determine exactly what your integrated video chip is, and then you can see what your options are for a more efficient driver.

Comment

Working...
    X