This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Password-Less Login Doesn't Work in KDE 3.5.9

Hey All, Ive been using Kubuntu and Linux for quite some time and I love it. I finally got frustrated with my parents infecting their computer with spyware and other nasty stuff because then my dad would complain about it and I would have to reinstall windows, now I'm forcing them to use Kubuntu (since all they do is check their email and browse the web) but the password-less logins for KDE 3.5.9 don't work. They don't have passwords on their windows accounts and will most likely start complaining if they have to type in a password each time they want to login.

I set passwords for both of their accounts but IIRC the password-less logins option allows you to have a password but allows you via KDM to login without typing one, or am I mistaken?

Re: Password-Less Login Doesn't Work in KDE 3.5.9

It has been a while since I was using passwordless login but I seem to remember that it only works with one user not two or more. I may be wrong.

On the other hand since you have persuaded them to dump windows I would imagine teaching them an easy password should be simple

Either way you can try play with user manager in system settings and or login manager in the advanced section of above.
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

hmm that could be the case. there really was no persuasion involved, when my dad came home tonight i said to him "im taking windows off of your computer and replacing it with window because im tired of you F'ing it up and im tired of fixing it" he said as long as he can pay his bills, check his email, and browse ebay hes fine with it.

this passwords arent really that much of an issue but its an annoyance that i would like to avoid for their sake. if i had to i could just tape a piece of paper to the screen with their passwords on it they'll most likely have to use a password at some point for some of the stuff in kubuntu. most likely my dad since he likes to explore and screw around with stuff

Comment

most likely my dad since he likes to explore and screw around with stuff
        in that case I guess he will have to learn a few letters and or numbers by heart
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

i posted this over at the ubuntu forums and someone suggested i had to edit kdmrc, and thats exactly what i had to do. there are two sections labeled [X*Core] and in the first one AllowNullLogin was set to false while in the next one it was set to true. i changed the first one to true and everything is fine and dandy.

Comment

Great
            Your father will still have to learn passwords though
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

He has to remember his SSN, his home, work and cell numbers, his anniversary, wife and kids birthdays, ..... remembering a password shouldn't be a stopper here.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
              X