This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CAD

Anybody here with CAD experience on Linux?

A mate is interested but cannot do without CAD. I checked and *.dxf is no problem - QCad appears to be working fine. However, he also uses *.dwg files and I haven't spotted a programme capable of doing that

Any hints/tips/links greatly appreciated!
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Re: CAD

Does he have any experience with AutoCAD on Windows? Even better if he has a copy of it because the 2k version works beautifully with WINE on a Linux compy.
    The early bird might get the worm, but it's the second mouse who always gets the cheese.

Comment

Point was to get away from windows... I will ask, however - thanks for the info.

Still looking for native stuff though, any offers?
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

No personal experience here, but this page has some interesting possibilities:

http://www.tech-edv.co.at/lunix/CADlinks.html

I guess you're trying to narrow the field, huh?

Comment

Nice one dibl, thank you.

I've tested the waters, but wondered, whether anybody here had any hands-on experience.

Comment

I have a lot of experience with AutoCAD and MicroStation... QCAD really falls short, but is still the best I have found.

There was a version of MicroStation for Linux a long time ago (a few years, maybe more)... he could look into that... but I think it hasn't been updated for two major release cycles...

Comment

Sounds bad."really falls short" - didn't want to read those words. But thank you for letting me know.

Comment

Yep. I happen to work in an engineering company, and I can testify that professional design engineers expect to pay serious $$$ for a good CAD system, regardless of the OS that runs it.

Comment

Hi, I am looking for an entry-level CAD program to open .dwg files. Your link has a bewildering list, Qcad apparently can't do .dwg, any recommendations?
                  I have not failed, I justfound 10,000 ways that do not work. (Edison)

Comment

Originally posted by toad
                    Sounds bad."really falls short" - didn't want to read those words. But thank you for letting me know.
                    http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iAppId=86

I've never tried wine with AutoCAD, but might be worth a look.

Comment

I've used VariCAD for Linux and that can handle .dwg files (I'm fairly certain of this). The problem I have is that it does not have kinematic constraints (i.e. for making movable mechanisms), so depending on your uses, it may or may not be suitable.

Personally, I use Solidworks running on a virtual Windows XP machine using VirtualBox.
                      Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.

Comment

Originally posted by finifly

Personally, I use Solidworks running on a virtual Windows XP machine using VirtualBox.
                        I would think a Win XP VM under either VBox or VMware Player would really open up the CAD choices. Of course, there goes $$ for a Win XP license ....

I run a very resource-intensive genealogy database on a Win XP VM in VMware Player on my Kubuntu box, and it is as solid as a rock, at least it is now that I put it on an ext3 filesystem instead of XFS. It is a custom MS Visual FoxPro application -- probably not unlike a CAD application in terms of relational database complexity, CPU I/O, and memory usage. When I was attempting to migrate it to a Linux platform, I first installed Win XP on a disk partition on the same platform, and ran a data-indexing benchmark test. Then I installed the VM and ran the same test on the database. On VMware Player I got 95% as fast performance as on the native Win XP installation, so that was good enough for my purposes (I bought a pretty fast CPU in the first place). I would expect similar results on a CAD application like Autocad or Solidworks.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                          I would expect similar results on a CAD application like Autocad or Solidworks.
                          I have no experience with wine, but I would be concerned about opengl acceleration which I think is a must for cad.
                          FKA: tanderson

Comment

Originally posted by tanderson

I would be concerned about opengl acceleration which I think is a must for cad.
                            Ahhhh -- yes, I forgot about that. All you're going to get in VMware is SVGA -- no 3D acceleration, because of the faux graphics device.

Comment

Quick recap - if you require 3D acceleration for CAD, you either run it natively under Linux or you don't run it at all - correct?

If you do not require 3D stuff, VariCAD does the trick just fine incl. dxf and dwg files.

Comment

Working...
                              X