This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disappearing Cursor, requires reboot

Occasionally (i.e. several times a week) my mouse cursor vanishes, never to return. I have not noticed a pattern to this behaviour yet, but today it was gone since the monitor resumed from a sleep after a period of inactivity.

It's not even cured by restarting X (Ctrl-Alt-Backspace).

$ sudo cat /dev/psaux
    shows that input is still being received from the mouse

The mouse still works, I can still interact with things on screen, I just can't see where it is!

I'm running Hardy, with an nvidia graphics card (on a dell optiplex 740).

Any ideas?

Re: Disappearing Cursor, requires reboot

I used to have this problem on my Dell latitude D505 with other distros when it would go into suspend. I could never figure out what happened, but I don't seem to have noticed it since I upgraded my bios and switched to Kubuntu.
    I'm running Kubuntu now on a Optiplex 745, but I never put it to sleep. Have you tried upgrading the BIOS?
    Dell Optiplex 580<br />Kubuntu 10.10 + backports

Comment

You didn't say which model the Nvidia chip is, nor whether you're running an Nvidia driver. If you're not running the latest driver that supports your chip, a driver upgrade might fix it.

Comment

Thanks for your reply, sorry to not have noticed it before now!

I am using whatever standard kubuntu Hardy installed for me. /etc/X11/xorg.conf says driver "nv"

But it seems fixed now anyway.

Thanks.

Rich.

Comment

Originally posted by shinyblue
          ...The mouse still works, I can still interact with things on screen, I just can't see where it is!

I'm running Hardy, with an nvidia graphics card (on a dell optiplex 740).

Any ideas?
          I also have this happen with my nvidia 7600GT on hardy, but only ever on the login screen... never after that.

Comment

I did have this problem on another computer, I can't remember which one and what distro, but changing from a USB mouse to a PS2 mouse fixed it.

Comment

Yes, it's not gone away. USB mouse. Seems to happen after a power-saving screen function (you know, when your monitor goes off).

Comment

I have not had this problem since either 4.1.0 or 4.1.1 i think.

Comment

Working...
                X