Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox and Java Runtime Env - where am I going wrong?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox and Java Runtime Env - where am I going wrong?

Hello,

Running Firefox 2.x (the one that comes with Hardy Beta), and have installed (using Adept) sun-java6-bin, sun-java6-jre and sun-java6-plugin. According to all I've read, all I should need to do then, is restart the browser, but I'm still hitting pages (such as the facebook photos bit) that are saying that the Java Runtime Environment is not installed.

So, where am I going wrong?

Thanks!

Paul
    ~~~~

Re: Firefox and Java Runtime Env - where am I going wrong?

Open Firefox and enter aboutlugins into the searchbar. Does it show any Java plugins?
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

The sym links it creates are for Firefox 3(still trying to figure out why this is the default version). Not sure what the path is for version 2 at the moment.

Lance

Comment

If you can't get the sun-java6-plugin to work, try uninstalling it and install the icedtea-java7-plugin instead. I use the 64-bit version of Kubuntu, which doesn't include the proprietary Java plugin, but works with IcedTea. Sun is opensourcing all their code through OpenJDK, so the proprietary version will soon be outdated anyway.
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

For java runtime env in firefox2 on 8.04 (Hardy) you need this symlink:

cd /usr/lib/firefox/plugins
          sudo ln -s /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.06/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Kind regards

Comment

I'm having the same problem in 32-bit Hardy with Firefox 2.0.0.14. Successfully downloaded sun-java6-bin using apt-get install, set up a symlink to
            /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.06/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
            from /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins (I already have a working Flash plugin linked from there), but FF doesn't see it although it sees the Flash plugin. Tried exporting environment variable MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH = /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, but nothing. Entered "aboutlugins" in FF URL field; Flash shows up, no Java. Verified on http://plugindoc.mozdev.org that libjavaplugin_oji.so is the name that FF expects.

Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

Comment

Solved my problem. Turned out /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins was NOT where FF was looking. Searched for files named "flashplugin*" and found a duplicate symlink from /usr/lib/firefox/plugins. Created my libjavaplugin symlink there, and now it works.

I guess the moral, if there is one, is that it's not the answer to the original question that's important, but rather the problem-solving techniques you learn in trying to solve it.

Comment

Working...
              X