Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNSOLVED: How do I administer users in Kubuntu 8.04 KDE4?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNSOLVED: How do I administer users in Kubuntu 8.04 KDE4?

Originally posted by jayhawk

Have you tried using Kuser? It should be able to be found under Applications->System->UserManager
    Thanks, just tried it, command not found. Looked in adept manager, kuser-kde4 wasn't installed. Gonna try to install it, I'll report back. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      More testing.

Already know that Alt+F2 kcontrol fails. But, if I open the run comand (Alt+F2) and type in /usr/bin/kcontrol then the control center start right up - without being prompted for my password! kcontrol is being executed by a non-root user, and this from a file that is root:root in a directory owned by root!! How can this be?!
      If you enter a Konsole and go to the /usr/bin directory and execute
      Code:
      ls -l
      you will notice almost all files are owned by root:root. But the permissions you see in the first column indicate 'other users' can execute the file/program
      Code:
      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root  root
      This can be deducted from the final trigram r-x.

Using a filemanager can give you the same info: right click the program and view the properties - permissions. I am not sure though what configuration file is set by kcontrol and what those permissions are.
      Kubuntu 9.10<br />

Comment

Originally posted by Joe_Bloe
        Is there a new gui for administering users in KDE4, or is it an incomplete feature? Do I need to use the command line? I want to create users, and add users to groups.

Thanks
        That's one of the questions i asked when i installed 8.04 RC. I think the function is yet to be implemented under system settings. I had to use command line to add users. Actually this KDE4 is reminding me how simple and fast it is to go commando :P

Comment

Install kuser-kde4

Comment

Working...
          X