This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kind of impressed here!

I installed HH Alpha 4, and must say I was pleasantly surprised, for the most part.

- I've never seen my NTFS-formatted USB stick be automatically recognized, configured, and mounted. It "just worked". Gee, I'm gonna miss writing that "hal fdi policy" file to deal with NTFS USB devices!

- the nvidia-glx-new package has the latest Nvidia driver -- VOILA, nothing to do but configure xorg.conf with "nvidia-xconfig" and then I was done. I'm gonna miss running "sudo envy -t" every time a kernel upgrade breaks my proprietary driver!

- likewise with Compiz (Emerald themes were missing from the repo, but after I installed Emerald and fetched updates, the themes showed up as an "upgrade" package)

- and upon opening System Settings > Printers to install my Epson Stylus C84, I was amazed to discover that it already was installed! Wow, that's nice!

Issues:

-- I was really looking forward to running KDE4 on it, but the kde4-core package shows "BREAK" in Adept Manager, so I guess I'll have to cool my heels for awhile on that.

-- Google Earth -- the "googleearth-package" package that works so well in Mepis and Sidux doesn't seem to function here, and the downloaded file pukes on my 64-bit architecture. This will probably be sorted, sooner or later -- I'm going to install ia32-libs and give it another shot later. After installing the ia32-libs package, the downloaded Google Earth installer worked perfectly.

That's the report -- rather trouble free, for an Alpha release! 8)

Re: Kind of impressed here!

Try updating apt again, as there probably were package updates going on, and one hadn't been uploaded yet, or try installing the whole she-bang (more or less) kde4 package. I just did a fresh HH alpha 4 install today, and did not have your problem, but I didn't try installing core, as it doesn't contain much of anything useful.

But all I can say about the printer setup is, HOLY COW! Printer setup for me has never been a problem, but , well, WOW! Can windows beat that?

WOW!

Comment

Re: Kind of impressed here!

Mehhhhh -- spent 2 hours last night beating on my HH Alpha 4 system to try to make it install KDE4. No soap ....

- after updates and upgrades, the Adept Manager continues to report "BREAK"

- "sudo aptitude install -f kde4 kde4-core" offers to attempt to resolve the dependency issues, and APPEARS to install a lot of packages, but they don't show up or function -- no choice of a KDE4 login session appears

- upon observing a "cannot resolve repository" error message from apt-get, I dorked around with my source list, changing it, refreshing and re-trying until I probably broke things (isn't that what an Alpha release is for? )

- the list of dependency problems reported by apt-get changed slightly during the course of this abuse, but I could never make it go away

Anyway, I think I'll just monitor the situation for awhile and see if it seems to improve.

Comment

Working...
      X