X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hardy alpha2-no merry xmas for sure

Problems as follows in Hardy Alpa 2 32bit:
    1. No monitor or display configuration in system settings complains libpython2.5.so not found in path and complains of an orphaned control module and old modules lying around.
    2. apt-get remove is ill mannered and after apt-get remove python, proceeded to remove the whole desktop without confirmation at all.
    Errors on reinstall of KDE and kubuntu-desktop.
    3. Oh I can confirm in the course of all this that---- kubuntu-desktop kills font size adjustment in Konqueror, especially for dear old Wikipedia. Always has I guess, and perhaps always will. Straight KDE in Kubuntu sans Kubuntu-desktop allows Konqueror to adjust font sizes in Wikipedia.---ho hum
    3.So not such a merry Xmas for Hardy alpha2, not worth the trouble even for an Alpha 2 , have a merry Xmas testing something else in my humble opinion.
    Best of luck
    El Zorro 8)
    It should be as simple as it can be, but not simpler than it should be---Albert Einstein

Re: Hardy alpha2-no merry xmas for sure

LOL

just wait a day or two, and update. At this stage, so much is in flux, being rebuilt, added, removed, fixed/broken/fixed

if you don't want to break stuff as much, wait for the later betas/release candidates as you are guaranteed to get broken, especially at this (alpha 2 stage.

Comment

#2 sounds like your fault. when trying to remove a package, if you're testing, you should know to look at which other packages it may want to remove.
      <br />

Comment

Hi disturbedite,
        maybe you are right about #2 obs, but I was just doing that apt-get remove python or-- was it apt-get autoremove (even more hazardous?) as an experiment, expecting a list of packages and a Y/N dialog.
        ----- No such thing it just rocketed into the removal--- very bad mannered apt stuff in my opinion.

Oh well I terminated that poor wounded, suffering Hardy Alpha 2 installation for now, maybe I'll try again later and hope for some well crafted updates in the new year, after perhaps the developers have had a well earned rest? (is that possible?)------- perhaps.

So Merry Xmas all
        And a happy and successful new year
        El Zorro
        It should be as simple as it can be, but not simpler than it should be---Albert Einstein

Comment

One needs to always remember, that apt-get remove package does just what you asked - remove the package and all its dependencies. Python, in this case, is one of the core packages to the entire system.

I always test package removal before I decide to actually procede with removal. That way, I get to see 'what will happen' and not get caught by surprise. So, running:
          Code:
          sudo apt-get remove --simulate python
          reports all the packages that will be removed if you do it for real.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X