X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't Log-in as Normal user

Hi to all,
    I've recently done a fresh Install of Kubuntu Hardy Heron Alpha 1but I have an annoying problem.
    Everything seemed to be ok,(I also installed the latest updates at the time)but when I rebooted and selected my Linux partition,I get as far as the login-manager.I typed in my username&password,I thought it was going to carry on to the KDE desktop,but it reverts back to the login manager again.After a few attempts,I switched to console mode,as soon as I did the same thing again,I got a long line of:

Code:
    -bash: /dev/null: -Permission Denied
    I did a bit of searching with Google,and followed the advice from some of the posts I found.

I booted into recovery mode,at the root prompt,I issued the command: sudo chmod 666 /dev/null and then: startx.I was glad that I managed to get to the desktop.But when I rebooted as usr,the same thing was happening again! >

So following the advice from another post, I removed dev/null and then re-created it agian with the same permissions.But I am still getting the same problem!!

I hope somebody can help me with this one.

Regards,
    STEVE555

Re: Can't Log-in as Normal user

Although you've already tried this or similar, try it again:

According to this thread, delete /dev/null (as root) with the command
    Code:
    rm /dev/null
    and recreate it (as root) with the command
    Code:
    mknod -m 0666 /dev/null c 1 3
    Once you've done that, check it's permissions with
    Code:
    ls -l /dev/null
    It should look like
    crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 3 2007-11-30 02:17 /dev/null
    and not
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1, 3 2007-11-30 02:17 /dev/null
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Hi Interhr8e,
      Here's what I did.
      I booted into Recovery Mode,when the root prompt appeared,I issued the command:
      Code:
      ls -l /dev/null
      and it came up with:
      Code:
      crw-rw---- 1 root root 1, 3
      I then used:
      Code:
      rm /dev/null
      to delete the file,and then isseued the command:
      Code:
      to re-create it again.

I checked it's permissions with:
      Code:
      and it did compe up with the correct permissions.

So I issued
      Code:
      init 6
      to reboot,at the the Grub Menu,I then selected user mode again and waited for the KDM Greeter to show up.

When it did,I typed in my password in again,but the same thing was happening again!!!

I have attached my auth.txt to see if there are any problems.

Regards,
      STEVE555
      Attached Files

Comment

[solved]Re: Can't Log-in as Normal user

Hi to everyone,
        After some thought,I decided to another fresh install of Kubuntu Hardy Heron Alpha 1(as I didn't have much software on that side of my hardrive).
        As again,I installed the latest updates(From 00008/12/2007) and I have rebooted a few times since,so far so good,I can log in into normal user mode.

I like to thank you all for your help.

Regards,
        STEVE555

Comment

No problem; I've learned that if something really doesn't want to work as it should, the solution is quite often just to reinstall. Good stuff
          Asus G1S-X3:
          Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

i've had the same problem after the recent (3.97) kde4 updates. i try to login and it should go to the loading screen but it dumps me back to the login manager. i didn't know what the problem was, but i'm thinking its likely the same as this, so perhaps i'll completely (purge) uninstall kde4 & reinstall to see if that "fixes" it.
            <br />

Comment

Working...
            X