X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Hardy Heron 32 rough about the edges--as expected

Hi Kubuntu team,
    as user something is rather wrong with the control module and sudo. in Hardy alpha1 32 bit.
    1) Adjusting time and date no go--- "command not found"--"error KdeSudo"
    2) Cannot install printers for above reason as user, as will not accept user password.
    I had to login as root proper (Oh Dear---) to install printer, but date and time adjust still broken.
    3) the module monitor and display could not be loaded, so nothing here to see or adjust.
    All up a rather broken KDE 3.58 package in the modules area, maybe KDE4 would be better.
    4)Konqueror still cannot shrink or enlarge fonts with Wikipedia pages, a fault that has never been corrected through all the Kubuntu releases, reported ad nauseum so I give up on this one.
    Best
    El Zorro 8)
    It should be as simple as it can be, but not simpler than it should be---Albert Einstein

Re: Kubuntu Hardy Heron 32 rough about the edges--as expected

"command not found"--"error KdeSudo"
    Same here for all the administrator modes.

Printer installed just fine from "user" and the installer worked as well

Still doesn't like my swap mounted by uuid (Just like Gutsy). Have to mount it with /dev/sdax.

I spends ages with trying fsck so I have to change 1 to = in fstab on my /home and / partitions (again just like Gutsy)

OpenOffice still has the same old wizard (new dictionarys) bug eventhofh OOO-core and ooo-kde is installed.
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Kdesudo seems to be borked in hardy (not uncommon to early alphas)

Comment

Sounds like you all are saying that it may not be worth my time to burn a Hardy CD.

Comment

Originally posted by lingenfr
          Sounds like you all are saying that it may not be worth my time to burn a Hardy CD.
          Depends on what you look for. It's early alpha, nothing much new compared to gutsy yet and it'll probably get buggier before it gets better. Definitely not worth it for production systems.

It might be worth it you like to test (and possibly report/fix bugs) and can tinker around problems that are likely to arise in the months before release.

Of course you don't need to burn the CD, you can dist-upgrade an existing gutsy system if you have a spare test machine/partition.

Comment

Oh well, no fixes for the fundamentals yet KdeSudo is still "borked"
            this alpha I think Alpha is a result of release burn-out, as Distrowatch states :---

"The developers of (this) Linux distribution seem to never take a break. Barely a few weeks have passed since we swamped the Ubuntu download mirrors to get hold of the new "Gutsy Gibbon", but already the first alpha build of Ubuntu's next release, version 8.04 and code name "Hardy Heron", is out for testing. This will be a so-called LTS release, which means that it will be supported with security and bug-fix updates for 5 years on servers and 3 years on desktops. It also means that it will be a lot more conservative than any of Ubuntu's most recent versions and will probably focus on existing issues and cosmetic enhancements, rather than groundbreaking new features. Still, it should be worthwhile to follow its development, especially if you need a well-tested and highly stable operating system for your desktop or server. Happy testing!
            I think I'll wait a while 'till burnout recovers. and leave this offering on my 'test drive' for occasional 'test drives'
            Best
            El Zorro 8)
            It should be as simple as it can be, but not simpler than it should be---Albert Einstein

Comment

I was pleasantly surprised to find that this alpha1 Live CD was able to run full screen in VMWare. This is much better than the other Hardy alpha1 that I tested without the "K". It is really difficult to install from a 800x600 screen when the button are on the bottom!

Look forward to testing both bugs and improvements!

Comment

Well after todays upgrade a few changes: the password prompt comes up after try admin. mode but the password still doesn't work. doing kdesudo whatever in alt+f2 gives you instant access without prompting.

I also noticed this is my complete xorg.config:

# (xorg X Window System server configuration file)
                #
                # This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
                # values from the debconf database.
                #
                # Edit this file with caution, and see the manual page.
                # (Type "man " at the shell prompt.)
                #
                # This file is automatically updated on package upgrades *only*
                # if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the
                # package.
                #
                # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
                # again, run the following command:
                # sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh

Section "InputDevice"
                Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
                Driver "kbd"
                Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
                Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
                Option "XkbLayout" "ch"
                Option "XkbVariant" "de_nodeadkeys"
                EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
                Identifier "Configured Mouse"
                Driver "mouse"
                EndSection

Section "Device"
                Identifier "ATI Technologies Inc RV280 [Radeon 9200 PRO]"
                Driver "ati"
                BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
                EndSection

Section "Monitor"
                Identifier "Configured Monitor"
                Option "DPMS"
                EndSection

Section "Screen"
                Identifier "Default Screen"
                Monitor "Configured Monitor"
                DefaultDepth 24
                SubSection "Display"
                Modes "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768" "832x624" "800x600" "720x400" "640x480"
                EndSubSection
                EndSection
                Nice and short. so they must have done something on the HW detection side.
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
                  Kdesudo seems to be borked in hardy (not uncommon to early alphas)
                  Latest version of kdesudo seems to fixed (closes a number of bugs reported)

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
                    I also noticed this is my complete xorg.config:
                    # (xorg X Window System server configuration file)
                    EndSection
                    Nice and short. so they must have done something on the HW detection side.
                    "Files" and "Module" section were cut out in 7.10 already

Comment

Has anybody got multmedia (mp3, etc) working? Loaded the medibuntu repos (gutsy version) and installed all of the codecs but amarok refuses to play ball and asks me if I want to install multimedia support. which I want to do but nothing happens.
                      4 GB Ram
                      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I'm getting the same problem with Hardy Heron Alpha2.

Comment

Hi to all,
                          I I've found a solution to solve the issue of the latest Amarok not playing mp3 files.I was searching through the Ubuntu forums,and one of the posts:http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=amarok came up with installing:
                          Code:
                          sudo apt-get install libxine1-ffmpeg kubuntu-restricted-extras
                          from konsole,and Amarok can play those files.

Regards,
                          STEVE555

Comment

Does anyone know if KDE4 is available at install for Alpha 2? The live CD doesn't startup with it and the files don't seem to be available. Will I have to install that? Also it was mentioned that "Tasty Menu" was available, but didn't see it either. I did notice that HH Alpha 2 seemed to run quicker than GG. I was surprised at that. HH Alpha 2 also detected the nVidia 5500 card with the correct resolution. That was a big improvement for me from the test releases of GG. Great! Hope that kind of progress continues.

Comment

moonrise:
                              just install the packages as you would for Gutsy, but you don't have to add any repository as it is already in Hardy's. KDE4 is not included at the moment due to disk space limits i think. I would assume the same is for Tasty Menu

Comment

Working...
                              X