X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Core Duo - slower on Kubuntu ... (?)

Hey,

I have the following problem:

I installed Kubuntu 8.10 these days on my Dell D620 Laptop (next to windows).
    When I now boot Kubuntu it looks like kubuntu woulnd really use the dual cores and it is really slow. For example: It gets stuck very often with firefox or other apps.
    That means it does not response to anything what I am doing for like 10-15 sec and then it opens all the things I've clicked and done in this time within a second...

Is there like application for a better core duo processoer support on Kubuntu?

Thank u for help!!

(Processor: Intel Core Duo T2300 @ 1660 MHz)

Re: Core Duo - slower on Kubuntu ... (?)

I'm not sure if this will help, as it deals with Kubuntu 8.04, but by default the CPU policy is set to "Dynamic". At least with my Pentium Dual-Core, this setting only allowed my processor speed to be 800MHz. In order to make it faster, I had to switch my power settings to "performance" by default. Now, I've got all 1.6GHz or my two cores being utilized, although I think it's still booting with only 800MHz (it says it doesn't change the CPU policy until AFTER my desktop loads).

It might be the same way with 8.10. Give it a try!
    Sony Vaio VGN NR260E<br />Linux Kubuntu 9.04\Windoze 7 Professional<br /><br />Sony Vaio VPCF1190X<br />Linux Kubuntu 10.04/Windoze 7 Home Premium<br /><br />Linux user #478627

Comment

Install gkrellm, and set it to show the CPU usage of both cores (CPU0 and CPU1).

As divide0 says, set kpowersave to a "dynamic" policy, or even "performance" to check how it works.

Also, this might be of interest:

http://rudd-o.com/archives/2007/10/0...w-to-fix-that/

Comment

Wow..thanks u both!
        Well now I am going to try what u said!

I am going to post the results....

Thank you! =)

Comment

Working...
        X