This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xorg always @ 18 to 19%

are theses normal levels for cpu by xorg ?

amd w/ integrated VIA K8 graphics

Re: Xorg always @ 18 to 19%

What are the specs for your CPU and memory? What resolution and refresh rate are you running?

It sounds a bit high, but maybe not if you're pushing a modest platform.

Comment

1152 X 864 75hz
      processor : 0
      vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
      cpu family : 15
      model : 44
      model name : AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3100+
      stepping : 2
      cpu MHz : 1000.000
      cache size : 256 KB
      fdiv_bug : no
      hlt_bug : no

mem= 512k

Comment

And what driver is the VIA K8 using?

Comment

?
          i checked at system Kinfo and don't see anything listed...also in system hadrdwre..."no proprietary drivers installed".

Comment

Try
            Code:
            lsmod
            and see if it shows the driver module on the list.

Another way to check is to take a look at the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, at the "Device" section. But it may only say "configured device" which isn't very helpful.

Another potentially helpful experiment would be to boot the Live CD for the same version of Kubuntu, and then while that is running, check
            Code:
            and see what the xorg CPU utilization is. If different, then that could give a clue on how to reconfigure it.

Comment

only references I see to VIA are:
              via 43648 2
              drm 82452 3 via
              i2c_viapro 9876 0
              i2c_core 24832 1 i2c_viapro

I do see in monitor and display Kmenu > system as - openchrome with openchrome driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Dart

I do see in monitor and display Kmenu > system as - openchrome with openchrome driver.
                There's your answer.

I have no experience with openchrome. I'd google "openchrome linux" and see if any tips turn up. Otherwise, if you can figure out how to re-configure it to a VESA display, and get the resolution that you need, you'll probably find that would be less resource-intensive.

Comment

tried vesa and had only 640X resolution...so logged out/in restore xserver after changing it back to openchrome...now back to normal.
                  I think I found what the problem was: I was checking cpu load with a superkaramba monitoring widget.
                  ...after uninstalling the widget, I checked cpu usage thru the konsole and it was averaging 0.7...could be that superkaramba is more taxing on cpu.

Comment

Oh yeah! I used superkaramba for awhile, and I liked the looks of it, but it did enough weird things that I stopped using it.

You might want to give gkrellm a try. Not as pretty as superkaramba, but I don't think it will run up your CPU utilization like that.

Comment

yep, superkaramba all out now ...better good system resources than eye candy at a taxing expense to a slower computer, Thanks dibl

Comment

Working...
                      X