This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 questions

I have AMD turion MK-36 (single core) processor.
    And when I install a modern generic kernel my laptop is getting "heavier"As I understand, modern kernels are designed for modern multicore processors. with many features that I do not need.
    Do I need to upgrade kernel or should I compile my own kernel? (actually I tried to, with no luck. maybe I am to stupid)
    When I tried to speed-up my computer, I have found that everybody recommend to compile kernel with timer frequency set to 1000 instead 255(that is better for servers) and so on. So my question is:
    Why the generic kernel is compiled with settings more useful for servers?
    Kubuntu goes with generic kernel by default, and I want to use realtime kernel. But I can't( nvidia problems) I tried hardly, just can't. I even tried to install Ubuntustudio with realtime kernel (it IS faster), but I want KDE, installed Kubuntu-desktop... Kde doesn't work(totally unsorted menu's, language, and strange dependency bugs when trying to uninstall gnome mess)
    What should I do?(or just shoot my self for being so annoying )

Re: 3 questions

Originally posted by kostiagol
    I have AMD turion MK-36 (single core) processor.
    And when I install a modern generic kernel my laptop is getting "heavier"As I understand, modern kernels are designed for modern multicore processors. with many features that I do not need.
    Do I need to upgrade kernel or should I compile my own kernel? (actually I tried to, with no luck. maybe I am to stupid)
    I'm far from an expert, but I have not heard that running a kernel with more features than you actual require will produce a noticeable slowdown on your PC, unless it is really already marginal to run Linux. Probably running Firefox will slow it down a lot more than a few unneeded kernel modules.

When I tried to speed-up my computer, I have found that everybody recommend to compile kernel with timer frequency set to 1000 instead 255(that is better for servers) and so on. So my question is:
    Why the generic kernel is compiled with settings more useful for servers?
    Beats me! There is a server kernel available in the repo, so I assume it is more suitable for that purpose than the desktop kernels, but I'm not a kernel engineer to analyze the pros and cons of timer settings.

Kubuntu goes with generic kernel by default, and I want to use realtime kernel. But I can't( nvidia problems) I tried hardly, just can't. I even tried to install Ubuntustudio with realtime kernel (it IS faster), but I want KDE, installed Kubuntu-desktop... Kde doesn't work(totally unsorted menu's, language, and strange dependency bugs when trying to uninstall gnome mess)
    What is it that you want to do with your planned system? That may be more relevant than kernel timing and optimization stuff. Have you looked at Xubuntu/XFCE? It is designed to be light, for less powerful hardware.

What should I do?(or just shoot my self for being so annoying )
    Stop -- put the gun down!

No need to put yourself out of your misery -- just think of it as an adventure that never quite ends!

Seriously, there's lots of help already on the Forum for things like Nvidia drivers (install Envy and use it) and similar configuration items. I don't know that we have a large population of kernel-compilers here, but that isn't really a Kubuntu issue anyway, it's a Linux issue for which there are surely far better sources of information than this forum.

Comment

Tried envy yesterday(from your post). It says-"Your Operative System does not seem to be supported by Envy" EVERYTHING I tried gives nothing, so I reinstalled last time, saying myself -"Enough! start working, not reinstalling" And there I go again I need a doctor
      About server kernels, I'm not an expert to. I say, what I read in posts (here's a quick example http://www.linuxmonitor.net/blog/200...-tweaking.html) and from make xconfig help
      xubuntu I don't like. I like KDE! I think it's only desktop that uses real desktop management
      I can configure gimp to be always on the second desktop, with exact geometry of every window, and more and more and more... konqueror- best of the best
      Oh... when you go to xfce and continue to use KDE applications will it be faster?

Comment

Originally posted by kostiagol

It says-"Your Operative System does not seem to be supported by Envy"
        That's crazy!

Did you download the Envy file from the lower right side of the table here:

http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

where it says "Get Envy NG"?

Try it again -- I can't believe it won't work on Hardy!

Comment

I'm dead. Tried to get envy working(envyng
          Yes this program ain't working properly on my HP > > >
          And now I left without nvidia drivers (x works on vesa), without network no sound.
          Now I think to reinstall (for the last time! I promise ) every thing. Just two days for a rest, and up to go!
          One more question: when copying files , on one hard drive, speed is about 9-14 Mb is it normal? When I copy files from hard to USB hard drive speed is about 10-18 Mb

Comment

Trimming unnecessary drivers and modules from your kernel won't make the kernel faster, it will make it smaller, which will make it load faster though... Gentoo days :P

The frequency setting you are talking about is a new feature. The higher it is, the more responsive your system should feel, however, on your laptop, a lower number is better as it will let the CPU idle a lot more, thus dropping into a lower power state saving you battery time.

If you were unhappy with the initial lower option, perhaps try a middle ground - unless you only ever use your laptop plugged in.

Comment

Don't take this the wrong way, but in response to your 2nd point.... says who?

"everybody" doesn't really narrow it down as to who is telling you this and what kind of knowledge they have about such things. How do they know that one setting is better for a server than a desktop? Not to be rude, but it seems like you are just repeating hearsay.

Is a realtime kernel better? Well for me it wasn't. Some things just simply didn't work. So unless everything is working, it doesn't really matter if it's faster or not.

The new Hardy kernel does come with dynticks and CFS, which should help speed things up a tad.

Some of your questions are better directed at a kernel mailing list than here, I think.
              https://www.linuxcounter.net/user/267216

Comment

My (untested) advice:
                (1) Don't fool with the kernel. If you have to ask, you shouldn't. In addition, as stated above, the 1k thing will probably just mess up your system.

(2) Don't bother with envy, just install the appropriate nvidia driver package from the kubuntu repositories. The difference between that driver and the "latest and greatest" driver applies primarily to the newest and costliest video cards.

(3) The thing that will (probably) speed up your system is getting rid of excess services, as discussed in the blog post you referenced in your second post. But DO NOT REMOVE SUDO that is A VERY BAD IDEA! Please see this discussion from the Ubuntu Community Help Wiki.

Comment

Working...
                X