This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

64 bit Kubuntu and Wi-Fi

I have an HP zv5000 laptop with an Athlon 64 chip in it, dual booting with XP. I have 64 bit Kubuntu on the largest partition of my HDD and have been struggling without success to get my Linksys WPC54GS pcmcia cart to work with it. I have tried all the instructions that I have received from this forum without success. I have the feeling that either there is something missing from my installation, or that there is some fundamental incompatibility with the 64 bit OS. Has anyone here had any success getting this card to work with 64 bit Kubuntu, and if so how?
    Bob I

Re: 64 bit Kubuntu and Wi-Fi

Bob, I do not have the magic solution for you. However, two years of running 64-bit Linux have taught me that 99.9% of the problems blamed on "64-bit" are due to some other factor altogether.

You can prove the point by making a 32-bit Kubuntu Live CD, booting it, and checking your wireless. If the problem were ONLY 64-bit, it will work perfectly.

Comment

dibl
      I did as you suggested and brought the machine up with a live CD of Hardy, 32 bit. It did recognize the broadcom chip in my adapter and did download the driver and cutter to make it work, however after configuration, there was still no connection. I tried running Knetworkmanager, but it was not available for some reason. This is as close as I have ever gotten to making the adapter work on Linux.
      The fact that 64 bit Hardy did not recognize the chip and offer to download a driver leads me to think that there is no driver available for it. Am I wrong?
      Bob I

Comment

I'm not expert on the Broadcom chip. Here's a thread that appears to cover it pretty well:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...light=broadcom

Good luck with it! There are very few 32-bit drivers that have no 64-bit version -- detection may be different, but the 64-bit driver most likely exists. Worst case, you might need to do the ndiswrapper thing to run it.

Comment

Working...
        X