X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

couple questions

Hi,
    I didn't know exactly where to put this so here goes. I run on an AMD 64 bit system. Pretty basic setup. Asus mother board, AMD 64 X2 Dual core @ 4200+, Nvidia 7600 video, onboard sound, 2 gig mem 250 GB sata drive. My wireless card uses the ra2500pci driver (Network controller: RaLink RT2500 802.11g Cardbus/mini-PCI (rev 01). I am running Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy.

1 .... When I listen to a web radio broadcast through any of the sound programs ( amarok, noatum, etc) it will after a short time continue to run but without any sound and if I hit forward the sound will come back but at times I also see one of those error messages that the artsd had a fatal error, then when I click on ok, artsd starts again automatically and the sound starts up on the radio again??

2 .... I use Swiftweasel 3.0 as my browser because it supports all the plugins I use/need. Well just a couple of days ago it started to act real slow. I mean when I go from site to site it takes it a good few minutes for the page to fully render whether there are lots of graphics or not. This also appears to affect the radio feed because the radio will cut in and out while a page is trying to load. At first I thought it was my ISP but I ruled them out because I have a 32 bit laptop that doesn't have any of the above issue's (which is also running Kubuntu 8.04) and my wife's system runs without any issue's (winxp). I also am using "rutilt" to monitor my network and my connection is solid. Thats why I thought it might be something specific to 64 bit.

3 .... I was trying to compile a new wireless driver (ra2x00) but I get a message that I don't have the 2.6.24-19-generic headers installed. I do have them installed but can't seem to get around this message and it won't compile either manually or with module-assistant. I was trying this to see if it would fix the above.
    So anyone else see anything like this? By the way I am current with all the updates to Kubuntu.

Thanks

Re: couple questions

Originally posted by ppberns

I was trying to compile a new wireless driver
    I wonder if the problem could be your wireless bandwith on that particular computer? Is there any way to connect your laptop to the router via ethernet cable, just to see if the sound still drops out?

I have not heard of a similar sound problem attributable to the 64-bit architecture. But I run my 64-bit system on a desktop with ethernet, so I dunno.

Comment

Hi,

The system I am having the issue's with is a desktop. The laptop isn't a problem at all. No I don't have any way of moving the desktop near the router at this point unless I take it all apart and carry it downstairs. I am try to see if I can barrow a really long ethernet cable to see if it can reach upstairs. Will post back if I get to try it.
      Is your sound on an adapter card or off of the system board? Mine is on-board.

Thanks

Comment

My Intel system has the Intel HDA STAC chip integrated. My Asus EEE PC (the only one that I use with wireless) has some other integrated sound chip -- I don't recall what it is. I'm also presently setting up Kubuntu on an old Dell Dimension 2350 that fried its original CPU after the heatsink clamp broke. It also has an integrated sound chip -- lspci shows it to be an Intel 82801DB AC'97. They all support Linux sound just fine. But streaming sound depends on a sufficient bandwidth on the network connection.

Do you have some mp3 or audio CDs that you could play in that system? If they play flawlessly, then I'd say it's time to become very suspicious of the wireless connection.

Comment

Hi Dibl,

Yeah I am suspecting the wireless pci card as well. lspci shows it as Network controller: RaLink RT2500 802.11g Cardbus/mini-PCI (rev 01). It's been really pretty good up until a couple of days ago. I guess like me it isn't getting better with age...........

Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X