Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Initial Thought, Firefox 3 - Buggy, Desktop Effects - Poor, Overall - I am Happy

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Initial Thought, Firefox 3 - Buggy, Desktop Effects - Poor, Overall - I am Happy

I am not new to linux and was able to work out my initial issues with dual monitors and needing proprietary Nvidia drivers just fine. I run the 7800GT and I know that will give me issues for a while, but it should be able to handle the effects of compiz without any hesitation.

However, the new version of Firefox (which in my opinion SHOULD NOT have shipped or replaced Firefox 2 yet), is terrible. My experience was as follows:
    1) I did not override my /home partition so I could keep my settings, bookmarks, etc without a lot of work to copy all of that data back. Firefox 3 failed to import ant bookmarks into their "so-called" Places. In fact Places wouldn't even accept adding New Bookmarks, it just failed entirely and wasn't functional by any means.
    2) Creating a new tab left the URL of the previous tab in the address bar, that sucked too.

Then I decided, let's try the Desktop Effects, I've heard a lot of cool progress was made. But that was a bad idea for me too. Enabling it caused my 6 Virtual Desktops to ONLY allow 2. Turning it back off, fixed this, so I can establish this was the root cause. Secondly the effects couldn't be easily changed/customized from my initial looks and they weren't anything special to begin with. I liked the transparency of unfocused windows, but the opening and closing animations didn't enthuse me any and I wanted those at minimum disabled.

Beyond that, EnvyNG has really gained my approval, my first impressions were why do we need this? Nvidia has an easy installer process from my own experience, but EnvyNG made it bloody easy and kudos to Alberto Milestone for that.

My other praises are the small things I have noticed. The checking of the hard drives are now built into the boot screen instead of kicking you to the textual output, the boot screen itself doesn't have to kick you to the textual output when starting services or shutting them down (another plus!).

Beyond that, I haven't had a LOT of time to mess with the system, but I am back to 100% functional after turning Compiz off and uninstalling Firefox 3 and changing the link for firefox to firefox-2 (that made me mad too).

Anyways, I really wish someone would have prevented Firefox 3 from being mainstream as that was buggy as hell, and I can't believe that was choosen. But kudos for those who worked on the system as a whole apart from the Desktop Effects and Firefox 3 integration.

Matt

Re: Initial Thought, Firefox 3 - Buggy, Desktop Effects - Poor, Overall - I am H

Are you running the Ff3 BETA that was shipped with the original Hardy release or the Ff3 release version which was in an upgrade a few days ago? I absolutely agree that the beta was not ready for prime time. So much so that I'm typing this message in Ff2 on my main box. I did reinstall the Ff3 release version on my backup box and it seems to work. I haven't tried all the fancy "improvements", yet, so I'm reserving judgment.

Comment

Re: Initial Thought, Firefox 3 - Buggy, Desktop Effects - Poor, Overall - I am H

To be honest, I don't know. I didn't check it out that closely to see if it was still beta or not, but my first impression after a clean install was not very good of Firefox 3. I made sure I got all of the upgrades after the install, and when I ran Firefox 3 (tried it about 10 times as I was making changes to Desktop Effects and restarting X) and it didn't perform any better.

I've never really cared about the Desktop Effects, but my perspective is, that if you provide it, it should just work without affecting other items that work. Fact is, it broke other items that I depend on and that wasn't cool by any means. But again, most users probably won't have multiple virtual desktops, I know my family doesn't, just because they are Windows converts and don't know how to utilize multiple desktops.

Oh well, I am pleased, as my pain only lasted an hour, and it only took me 2-3 hours to do the clean install without losing any personal data.

But on another plus, I love how 3d accelerator works out of the box with little effort with Nvidia's proprietary drivers nonetheless. That fascinated me to no end.

So there are great improvements, but when you lose the browser due to it being buggy and lose the glimmer (the effects, which is why some convert over) and really bums down the new version. I hope I am the only one with this experience or that it is isolated to AMD64 (I have a feeling it is).

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad at least someone is having a good experience with FF3.

Comment

Re: Initial Thought, Firefox 3 - Buggy, Desktop Effects - Poor, Overall - I am Happy

Hi.

To date I've found FF3 about as fast as a snail on a bike - it clips along for awhile then stops for breath!

However - I've not run through all those fancy speed-it-up tips that are available, but then again perhaps they were only for FF2?

Cheers.
        Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
        GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
        Kubuntu 14.04 - 64 bit Linux - KDE 4.13.0

Comment

Re: Initial Thought, Firefox 3 - Buggy, Desktop Effects - Poor, Overall - I am Happy

Hi,
          I initially had issues with Firefox 2 and 3 and decided to try out Swiftweasel. On a 64 bit AMD system I have had little to no issues with it. I have recently found Swiftweasel 3 which is a clone of Firefox 3 on sourceforge and it has all the "new" features that Firefox 3 has but to me they work without issue.
          And I had the same issue with Compiz. I lost 2 out of my 4 desktops and also window sounds disappeared.
          My two cents....

regards,

Comment

CPRADIO - -

It mught be with AMD64 and Firefox 3, or for that matter, any browser.

I'm having hard lockups on Konqourer, FF3, and the latest Opera, but no problem when I use something like Adept Manager.

Comment

Originally posted by cpradio
              Then I decided, let's try the Desktop Effects, I've heard a lot of cool progress was made. But that was a bad idea for me too. Enabling it caused my 6 Virtual Desktops to ONLY allow 2.
              this is a known issue, install kicker-compiz and use it instead of the pager you got in kde panel right now.

Comment

Working...
              X