This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No problem - Just pleased

It seemed a shame that a perfectly good board didn't have a post yet, so I figured I'd mention that my recent (and first) experience with 64-bit Kubuntu (or any 64-bit OS) has been great.

I'm running 8.04 Beta and sure, it's not quite cooked yet -- apt-get is downloading a pile of new changes each day. But there are no problems that I wouldn't expect with any pre-release software, regardless of the processor.

Before installing anything to this rig (an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+) I did a bit of background reading. Much of the material is now out of date, with worries about wireless, flash, limited software availability for the 64-bit platform. In my experience so far, I've not noticed any incompatibilities or missing software.

My wireless card, a Buffalo WLI-PCI-G54 (Broadcom 4306) was recognized by the b43 driver. Firmware was installed by b43-fwcutter, though I had to manually re-install fwcutter from the command line. For whatever reason, Openwrt.org was having troubles with traffic, and wasn't serving files reliably. But once I made a successful connection, APT installed the firmware drivers perfectly.

Adobe flash was installed without incident, as were all of the other trimmings part and parcel with kubuntu-restricted-extras. I did have to install mplayer and mplayer's mozilla plugin to get divx working.

If I'm disappointed in anything, it's that I'm not seeing significant performance gains with the application software. In particular, ripping and burning with apps like k9copy and k3B aren't impressing me with much more than I observed running Kubuntu 7.10 on an AMD Athlon/800.

However, the boot speed and the system overall is snappy, though this kernel is slower than the Gutsy one (as evidenced on my laptop, which has run 7.04-8.04).

Re: No problem - Just pleased

Nice -- thanks Phred!

I agree -- 64-bit Hardy Heron is running smoothly here. Well, OK, I did manage to crash the X server last night, somehow, but I was doing stuff that kind of asked for the problem.

But, generally this 8.04 version has been a great experience for me too -- I've got VMware Player running my 10GB Win XP machine, Flash and even Java JRE seem to be fully functional, no issues with multimedia -- just very stable for a Beta version of an OS.

On the "general performance" -- yes, you do have to lower your initial expectation about what 64-bit is going to do for you. There really isn't much out there yet, in terms of 64-bit native applications. That's where the big performance improvement will come from.

Thanks for a nice post!

Comment

Thanks dibl! Though I did forget to mention that I had to add Medibuntu to get some functionality. The website hasn't been updated to contain instructions for Hardy, but I did find the commands on the Ubuntu forums, and they worked fine:

Code:
      sudo wget [url]http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/hardy.list[/url] -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list
      wget -q [url]http://packages.medibuntu.org/medibuntu-key.gpg[/url] -O- | sudo apt-key add - && sudo apt-get update
      Looking forward to more multi-threaded apps,

- P.Z.

Comment

Oh, I beg to differ.

I wrote a HOWTO on the subject, and Rog131 added the necessaries as to Hardy in his post here. But regardless, welcome to the Kubuntu Forums!
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I am also running Kubuntu 8.04 Beta 64-bit with KDE 3.59 on a Gateway MP8708 notebook, and I am quite pleased with it.

I started out with Linux a year ago. I first tried PCLinuxOS, but had problems with it mounting my HD. I then tried ubuntu 7.04 and it ran fine. But, I didn't like the Gnome GUI much. Then I tried kubuntu, and found the GUI I liked - KDE.

My notebook specs:

Intel 945GM chipset with Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
          Intel T7200 C2D processor
          2 Gigs 533 MHz DDR2
          17" widescreen 1440x900
          160-GB SATA hard drive with two 80-Gig partitions (1 for kubuntu and the other for Windows XP MCE) using GRUB dual boot loader
          8X Multi-Format Dual Layer DVDRW
          4-in-1 Digital Media Manager - Secure Digital, Memory Stick, Memory Stick-Pro, and MMC
          Integrated Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG (802.11a/b/g) and 10/100 Ethernet (using wireless for connectivity)

For a while, I was using kubuntu about 50% of the time, and XP the rest. But now, I rarely boot XP. Kubuntu is defintely my primary OS now, and I really like it. There was no way I was going to install Vista with DRM and all its bloat.

I'm looking forward to running KDE 4, once it's ripe. I ran KDE 4.03 some before switching from 7.10 Gutsy to 8.04 Hardy, but it has too many issues currently. For now, I prefer the solid KDE 3.59.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by sakers

There was no way I was going to install Vista with DRM and all its bloat.
            +1

Comment

Agreed this is great and pretty much just works. I've been running Debian servers for a couple of years but this is my first serious attempt at a desktop (or X or 64 bit). So far everything I have tried has worked - except of course the CD driver which stopped me from using the live CD - never mind I turned it into a live usb stick.

This definitely looks like its going to be my primary desktop pc. I will also be waiting a while before I give KDE4 another go as its still a bit too flaky for my liking.

Gr8 job guys

Comment

Good to hear for you folks - - I'm not having such good luck at this point.

I have to have a dialup modem on this notebook (compaq Presario F700 series) 7.10 - - The hsfmodem driver setup for Conexant chips worked, but my sound disappeared - I could live with that.

Under 8.04 - - No luck. Couldn't find a solution, so I'm back down to 7.10

Nvidia and the 17" wide screen are not working as good as I would like to see, or anywhere nearly as well as Vista setup, and I hate to say that, but it's tolerable. I was hoping the 8.04 setup would show improvement, but with no modem, no way to download directly.

Atheros wireless - - I kinda had it working - - - for one day, and then it never worked again. Since I just put this unit back to 7.10, I'll work on it some more. No local hotspots, so it's added pain.

Items like 'flash' become a small problem, but sooner or later, the rest of the world will get to the 64 bit stage. Pretty bad when we have such great processors, and a world still living on 32bit software

Comment

Working...
                X