This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

usb formated external hard drive

I have a usb external hard drive, want to mount it on kubuntu, but get message a the bottom saying it is not mounted and give lines to type in the terminal but dose not work, can someone please tell me how to mount it so i can read the files and pictures i have on it from Microsoft vista, done a clean install of kubuntu and no windows on it

Re: usb formated external hard drive

In 8.04, you have a couple things to work with:

Disk & Filesystems
    K > System Settings > Advanced > Disk & Filesystems
    click Administrator Mode (lower right), then see what you can about that drive
    highlight it, click Edit or right-click Modify, give it a Mount Point (top of Edit menu), like
    /media/myUSBdata, click so any user can do anything at any time.

You also have:
    Konqueror: Storage Media, right-click > Mount

Make sure the USB is connected and On when you first turn on the PC (or re-boot) so it is recognized; or, otherwise, experiment with that, try plugging it in, turning On while in Kubuntu, etc. I.e., "get it" recognized properly.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I don't know how familiar you are (joiner) with CLI linux, but here is how I got around it.

What is probably happening is that when you removed it from M$ Windows, you did not do a "Safely Remove Hardware". This can cause the NTFS to not be immediately readable.

If you have already tried to force the mount via command line, I would try to plug it back into a windows machine, and then preform the safe remove. This should get it readable.

If not, you will need to the following:

sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/<hard drive location> /media/<mount point> -o force

This will force the mount regardless of the way it was removed from a Winders system.

Comment

Hi
        Done as you say to the letter but will not mount,got is in terminal, no such file or directory

Comment

Hi
          Done as you say but Disk & Filesystems is not showing

Comment

"Hi
            Done as you say but Disk & Filesystems is not showing"

=> If you are in 8.04, sounds like maybe something is amiss with your OS installation.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Are you running KDE 4.2? I don't think that the module works or has been refined for 4.2 yet. But 8.04 used 3.5x didn't it?

Can you paste the exact output of the cli on how you are trying to mount it?

Comment

What i did was i formated my hard drive, then used the kubuntu disk that they sent me, and done a 100% hard drive when asked, then kubuntu did a format again and it installed ok, then got the updates they sent, in root, i have 1 that shows, internal hard drives one has my windows backup it shows that drive and folders

Comment

Hi using K4.1 what is cli i am new to this, i am 74 so a bit slow in learning it

Comment

I pasted this from the top of this page,
                    sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/<hard drive location> /media/<mount point> -o force

but got this from the terminal, no such file or directory

Comment

Hi
                      I pasted a line in the root, now i cannot delete it, will i have to reinstall kubuntu if so what is the best way to reinstall it, been to recovery and run it, and root, but the root icon still has the line i pasted in it is there

Comment

Working...
                      X