This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Include "administrator" version of Konqueror in Hardy

Sometimes one needs to do file work in Konqueror (a superior tool for this) that includes files and folders owned by "root". Hardy needs either an administrator version of Konqueror or the ability to go into "administrator" mode when using it.
    Bob I

Re: Include "administrator" version of Konqueror in Hardy

in a terminal do sudo konqueror or right click the file and action then edit as root, or create a kmenu item with konqueror as the command and run as diff. user checked...
    Wanna know more about Me and My computer then click here

Comment

Actually, it is "kdesu konqueror". My suggestion is that going to the terminal should not be necessary. There should either be an "administrator" version of konqueror in the menu system, or there should be an item in one of the drop down menus that allows one to go into administrator mode while konqueror is open. BTW, there is no "kmenu" in my system.
      Bob I

Comment

Does Alt-F2 "kdesu konqueror" not work?

Comment

Originally posted by BobI
          Actually, it is "kdesu konqueror". My suggestion is that going to the terminal should not be necessary. There should either be an "administrator" version of konqueror in the menu system, or there should be an item in one of the drop down menus that allows one to go into administrator mode while konqueror is open. BTW, there is no "kmenu" in my system.
          Bob I
          kmenu is the START menu -if using kde 3.5 it's the K in the lower right hand corner - well basically create a menu item manually - i did that...

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
            Does Alt-F2 "kdesu konqueror" not work?
            Of course it does. It is just a pain in the tookas to have to go out of konqueror, go to the terminal, type in "kdesu konqueror" in order to do the file manipulations that I want to do. There should be an "Administrator" button somewhere that would allow me to do my work without detours.

As to adding a menu item, I'm not yet that proficient with the system - still learning.

Bob I

Comment

If you install the package kmenuedit, it is very simple to add "kdesu konqueror" as a separate menu item. But that does not eliminate the need for a "detour", it just makes it a graphical mouse-clicking detour instead of an Alt-F2 detour.

The thread title says "administrator version" which implied (to my simple mind, anyway) a scheme such as the one used by Krusader, in which an entirely separate version of the file manager package is installed. It sounds like what you really want is a "turn me into root" button on the Konqueror right-click menu. Not a bad idea, actually.

Comment

agreed...with dibi...

Comment

You can try if the service menu I put up on kde-look/kde-apps some time ago, to see if it would fill your needs. It basically adds some root actions in the right-click menu in konqueror and dolphin, including an 'open in filemanager as root'.

If you're using the KDE4, you'll have to edit one of the .desktop files and change 'dolphin' to 'konqueror' if you wish to open in konqueror instead of the default, dolphin.

Here's the link: http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...?content=48411

Any questions or feedback you can post here.

Comment

If you install the package kmenuedit, it is very simple to add "kdesu konqueror" as a separate menu item. But that does not eliminate the need for a "detour", it just makes it a graphical mouse-clicking detour instead of an Alt-F2 detour.

Hey maybe I could have an 'undo what I have just cocked up button?' or a 'sudo ignore what I am about to do as it is probably stupid button' in konsole?

Either of these would be would be worthy candidate in Jaunty in my opinion :-X
                    Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Comment

Re: Include &quot;administrator&quot; version of Konqueror in Hardy

The thread title says "administrator version" which implied (to my simple mind, anyway) a scheme such as the one used by Krusader, in which an entirely separate version of the file manager package is installed. It sounds like what you really want is a "turn me into root" button on the Konqueror right-click menu. Not a bad idea, actually.

EXACTLY!! This should not be too difficult to do.

Bob I

Comment

Originally posted by andybleaden

'undo what I have just cocked up button?'

ROFLMAO! Good one, Andy! Let's call it the "Un-Bork My System" button!

Comment

yeh !

where can we set up a petition?

you imagine a keyboard button...'Just forget what I did for the last half an hour' perhaps it would fit under the space bar
                          Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Comment

My face is red! There IS a place in the right-click menu of Konqueror for editing as root, under "Actions". I guess it was a little too deep in the menu system for me to find at first. Ah, well, I'm still learning.
                            Bob I

Comment

Working...
                            X