This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get KPPP to turn on USB modem

It seems insane to me that KPPP cannot turn on a USB modem and that one needs to enter some obscure command in the Terminal. Linux friendly USB equipment such as a modem should "just work". Remember, some of us still need to access the web vial dial-up occasionally.
    Bob I

Re: Get KPPP to turn on USB modem

what do u mean by turn on modem?? You will have to manually turn on the modem and then just starting up kppp and clicking connect should work...
    Wanna know more about Me and My computer then click here

Comment

The U.S. Robotics USB modem that I have has no switch of any kind on it. It draws power from the USB port. Another commentator was the one that said that I had to turn on the modem from within Kubuntu, presumably. The manufacturer says that the modem is fully compatible with Linux and that late kernels have the driver for it built in. It should "just work" but doesn't.
      Bob I

Comment

it does work as u say... if u can connect/start it up - it works...

However have u ever thought of making a batch script, etc.. and creating a menu item to start the script..

if u can let me know the commands u use to start the modem - however there is a way to start script in kppp upon connect, disconnect, before connect, etc.. ieL it says to run programs/commands but one can run a script by inputin the sh /path_to_file in the command box - i do it for turning off the multicast and setting a mtu manually..

Comment

I do not have the directions that came with the modem, but presumably it uses standard U.S. Robotics instructions. If you want to check the unit out, go here:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...9&sku=U13-4292

I will have to wait until I get back to my vacation house to resolve this.
          Bob I

Comment

man u should of looked around before u shopped - 50+ bucks for a 56k modem is high..

Comment

You are right. But I wanted to use Kubuntu when I am at my other place and it will not see or bring up the Winmodem on my laptop. I was willing to spend the money for a unit that would work with Linux, but Linux would not work with it either. Bummer.
              Bob I

Comment

Working...
              X