Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An easier installation -- Mandriva has it, why not Kubuntu?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An easier installation -- Mandriva has it, why not Kubuntu?

I tried Kubuntu HH briefly. Very briefly.

I have been using Mandriva for about 6 months, basically since GG came out. I'm not exactly computer illiterate, having worked in DOS, BASIC and a few other interfaces, other than Windows (since version 1.1!).

I decided with the release of HH that I would switch over to Kubuntu, since it is actually more popular than Mandriva, according to some of the distro watches.

Kubuntu is a good OS. It installs fairly easily, but it falls short in a couple of areas, two of which are reflected in support questions I posted to this forum during my brief side trip into Kubuntu.

First, the specific questions I submitted.
    1)http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...5135#msg135135 -- which concerned monitor settings being overwritten. (in the case of this particular problem, it did not exist in Mandriva HH, because my monitor was detected by the installer and I was able to select the resolution I wanted in two mouse clicks during the install.) The solution was easy, but probably should not be necessary.

2)http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...5260#msg135260 -- which concerns changing the order and default in the bootloader. If you want to understand my level of frustration on this one, look at the entire answer, including the links. In Mandriva, you can set this during the install with, again, two mouse clicks, or you can set it after the install through a part of the settings menu that is not available in Kubuntu.

The following were questions I did not submit, because I was able to figure them out by doing some odd finagling, or they have no solution.

1) I have a really large screen monitor, because I have bad vision. I usually set this to a resolution of 1024 x 768. This way, I can read the screen. The point size of the installer text is so small, (during some parts of the installation process) I had to use a magnifier to read it. This is not good.
    In Mandriva, the text on the installer is set at a comfortable resolution

2) The drive partitioning software in the installer -- big problems. It gives me the drive letters and the size of the partitions. It does not tell me where my Windows boot section is. In Mandriva, the installer locates the Windows directory and gives me some really easy options for partitioning. BTW, I do my partioning manually, so it's not a big problem for me; however, the tiny lettering made this very difficult in Kubuntu.

3) Loading Windows fonts -- in Kubuntu, I had to almost enter the windows fonts manually. It took me about 20 minutes to get all 930 fonts ported over. In Mandriva, the import manager knew to look for C:/Windows/Fonts and automatically loaded all of them in, in about 4 minutes.

The good things about Kubuntu --
    1) It's less expensive if you load from a factory burned DVD than Mandriva is.
    2) It finds the on-line repository very quickly.

Conclusions:

1) If we want Linux to really take its place in the world of computing as an OS that is widely used, such as Windows and the various Mac OS's, the install interface must be geared toward the same market as Windows and Macs, that is, moms and dads who are not computer literate. Operating your computer should be as easy as taking a cold drink out of your refrigerator or operating a toaster. Computers are no longer an esoteric thing. They are appliances, just like a telephone.

2) Distro watch numbers can be deceiving. All they tell you is how many people have downloaded something or registered it. They don't tell you how many people actually use it.

I have no hard feelings toward Kubuntu -- different strokes, and all that. But these are my opinions based upon my personal experience.

Re: An easier installation -- Mandriva has it, why not Kubuntu?

I understand where you are coming from because I have used mandriva in the past (last 2008 spring)
    The "control center" on mandriva is better.

The drive partitioning software in the installer -- big problems. It gives me the drive letters and the size of the partitions. It does not tell me where my Windows boot section is. In Mandriva, the installer locates the Windows directory and gives me some really easy options for partitioning.
    This I do not understand (resolution size apart) usually you have windows on the first partition on the first drive. That is where it likes (almost demands) to live.

The install interface is as easy as it gets (again resolution size apart) and almost to easy.

Kubuntu sees that as well as any other distro I know and gives you the drive letters just like mandriva. hda1 (sda1) is exactly the same. And just like mandriva it will tell you the format of the partition (ntfs, fat, ext, etc.)

As for fonts, well I guess that is a matter of taste (930?). Most people just need the mscore fonts which are installable with apt-get (adept/synaptic)

which brings me to the first reason I don't use mandriva.
    RPM file management. It is seriously slow and cumbersome compared to .deb files.

The second reason why I am still here is this forum. During my few months with mandria for testing I have rarely found the type of qualified and non rtfm support as here.

On a closing note. Linux is not a brand and never will be. It is a choice and that choice is freedom to use and do as you wish
    No one really believes in distrowatch numbers and kubuntu does not have the same kind of developer support as mandriva.

I do believe that mandriva could learn from the kubuntu way for setting their app. hierarchy in "kmenu" for example and kubuntu could learn from mandrivas control center amongst other things

Be happy with what works for you and linux will continue to grow on it's own strength
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

The drive partitioning software in the installer -- big problems. It gives me the drive letters and the size of the partitions. It does not tell me where my Windows boot section is. In Mandriva, the installer locates the Windows directory and gives me some really easy options for partitioning.
      This I do not understand (resolution size apart) usually you have windows on the first partition on the first drive. That is where it likes (almost demands) to live.
      That's right. However, in this case, even though the drive that Mandriva perceived to be my first drive is my Windows drive, Kubuntu saw that same drive as my fifth drive. I couldn't understand this. Maybe it has to do with the fact that my internal drives are SATA drives while my external drive bank uses PATA drives. I don't know how these things parse the drives, but Kubuntu dropped the ball, bigtime, on this one.

Regarding the issue of speed. It's not an issue for me. I'm running a very fast dual core processor with a big enough chunk of RAM that Mandriva sails right on.

Regadring the fonts -- I'm in the publishing business. I have a few fonts I use all the time and a lot of fonts I use about once a month. If some of my print houses did not demand certain programs, I would have switched all the way over to Mandriva and avoided the dual boot problem.

Comment

Originally posted by wapalmer3

Kubuntu saw that same drive as my fifth drive. I couldn't understand this. Maybe it has to do with the fact that my internal drives are SATA drives while my external drive bank uses PATA drives. I don't know how these things parse the drives, but Kubuntu dropped the ball, bigtime, on this one.
        The *buntu installer is famous for getting real confused, in the presence of a mix of PATA and SATA drives -- it certainly could be better. On the other hand, like many Linux idiosyncrasies, you can master it if you work at it a little. I wouldn't let that issue stop me from exploring the attributes of Kubuntu -- you don't install it every day, after all.

I haven't ever installed Mandriva. But, if you want to put a full bootable Linux system on a USB stick, you should try the sidux installer -- it's a "one button click" deal to set it up with persistence and the "toram" option.

Comment

Some observations on the install problem.

For some time I have experienced the menu.lst file being "reset" during upgrades. For some reason, it is not longer possible to run any of my Kubuntu/Xubuntu/Ubuntu live CDs; the process stops with some meaningless message (for me).

To be able to fix the occational boot problem, I discovered that the PCLinux live CD boot just fine.

Then the other day an upgrade really messed things up, so I had to reinstall. That is, I chose PCLinux. And I have to agree, the install procedure and the quality of it, is superiour.

The PC run three disks - two SCSI and one RAID. The Ubuntu installer is not able to set this right, and it is not able to keep the settings in menu-lst for a long time.

The PCLinux did even manage to do the entire menu.lst 100% correct. So, when it comes to the install part, I really think those who understand things should have a look at the Mandriva/PCLinux install method.

But I'll stay with Kubuntu on two on my PCs; those most used.

Comment

Working...
          X