This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install / update via CD

One thing that has caused me some grief is OS updates.

My example.

My laptop has 160 gig drive. I have to keep Vista, and it's recovery partition. I have Vista confined to 50.3 gig, and it's recovery partition is locked at factory 11.7 gig. This leaves sda3 at 83.4 gig and sda5 swap at 3.6 gig with an sda4 at 1.0kb (of which I don't know what that is)

What I would like to see is the option at installation to replace (you identify current OS/s here) with the OS on the CD. Something like - -

"Would you like to replace your Gutsy Gibbons 7.10 64bit with the new Hardy Heron 8.04 64 bit"

This would have made life just a bit easier especially for folks who are not up to speed on manually editing their partitions.

Re: Install / update via CD

You shouldn't need to upgrade from one version of kubuntu to the next via livecd (although I personally do, but this is simply due to me wanting to see how the install process is coming along and keep my install skills up). You can do the os upgrade via adept.

Comment

Re: Install / update via CD

Not im my case - - - Damned slow dialup indicated somewhere around 47 hours to do - - Earthlink has this tendence to drop your connection after something like 12 hours of considered 'no activity'.

Under Madriva spring 2007, I couldn't do the Open Office security update. It never worked, so I don't even think about such a massive upgrade on dialup.

Nice idea though - - -

Comment

Working...
      X