This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick and Easy Monitor Switching

I switch between different monitors a lot. Main monitor is an lcd and I've got a crt in twinview, but I like to switch over to the tv for movies so I've got to disable the crt and enable the tv. Is there anyway to quickly do this? Currently I use the Nvidia X Server Settings, but I'd like to have just a quick hotkey or something as fast.

Re: Quick and Easy Monitor Switching

I'd love this too!

I have an extra monitor at work, and an extra monitor at home. If I'm moving around at home I have to disable my monitor and restart X, and I have to switch again while I'm at work since my monitor there uses a different resolution. I'm on the go at both work (IT department, my laptop is with me for presentations and troubleshooting half the day) and around the house at times (hook it up to the stereo in the living room for music, put down in the kitchen to watch a video while I make a bite to eat, or in the office at home hooked up to a monitor) so my laptop is connected and disconnected to different monitors, using different resolutions, sometimes several times a day.

I've used the NVIDIA settings manager but it improperly detects the external monitor as display 0, and places my panel there. I've got it working by a mixture of playing the xorg.conf, the NVIDIA tool, and the compiz clone plugin.

I may also start playing with the panel location using ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma-appletsrc now that I know it exists there!

Expansion of multiple monitor support would be a huge benefit to me, and would really help me convince users, and other IT staff, that Kubuntu is a viable alternative to Windows for our users in the organization. I've started working on a bit of a pilot project in our company now...one desktop, and one laptop to follow, using as many open source alternatives as possible. Having the ability to use extra monitors with ease would be a HUGE benefit to laptop users.

Right now I have 3 different xorg.conf files backed up that I manually copy over /etc/X11/xorg.conf each time I change the type, or amount, of monitors I have on the go. It's easy for me, but inconvenient. For the average user, I'm sure they'd of given up as soon as I said "sudo vim /etc/X11/xorg.conf".

Hot swapping support for monitors would be ideal Unplug, automatically disabled, all windows moved to Screen X within the boundaries of the resolution...I'd be in heaven!

Comment

Working...
    X