This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even the same problems

I don't know where I can write this, I hope this message arrives directly to someone important :P

I have something to tell you.
    First I love your work. I use kubuntu for working & studying since the first release.
    After this, I think the next step for a ubuntu/kubuntu distro is to simplify the post-installation configuration of the system.
    I’ve used all the main distros before kubuntu, like slackware, debian, gentoo, redhat, suse etc. etc. When I encounter a problem, I open the terminal and I can solve it. I do this with natural going.
    I have to note, on the other hand, that a new user can’t do the same operations easily.
    Anyway I’ve noted that the problems are even the same.

After the first installation happen:

1) The resolution is not correct. It is necessary to configure xorg’s config files to modify the screen.
    I think it may be usefull to insert a system (like envyng) that respects the ethics of most people left the choose of deciding to install or not the proprietary drivers. In this manner, the same tool may provide to modify the necessary files.

2) Often the sound system doesn’t works fine. It is necessary to download the alsa sources and compile them. After this step is even necessary to open alsa mixer and unmute the speaker and rise up the volume

3) The flash reader punctually is a problem to install. This is a stupid operation but for a new user it may be a break point about the choose for the OS and the bug #1

4) The wireless lan is a tragedy, I know this is a driver problem but with the hardy I’ve had problems even the driver was already ok. Perhaps we need a better manager. My problem was the necessity to set the fixed IP on the wlan but in this manner I cant search the network to connect it. This is possible only for dhcp manner.

I hope that, resolved this points, the other problems are secondary. The first impact is the most important. Let take a rest to Compiz and think to this other questions ^^.

Good work & good luck.
    I stay tuned on your project
    http://therealalchemist.altervista.org/nuovo/index.php

Re: Even the same problems

1) Has KDE's configuration tool not worked?
    Failure of X to give the correct resolution often means it's failed to detect the monitor type properly.
    Also, I don't know why people have so much trouble with the nvidia drivers. I've found it to be dead simple - just download the driver from Nvidia's website, install it, then change the Driver line in xorg.conf to "nvidia" (usually from "nv".

2) Sound in Linux is a bit of a mess - often mixing doesn't work properly, causing one app to 'block' the soundcard. And sometimes volume controls behave oddly. But I've never had to recompile ALSA. Maybe you have an unusual soundcard.

3) Truth. Firefox actually handles it quite well - the problem is websites that check for it in javascript, and then refuse to even show you the applet, because only if a flash applet actually tries to load will Firefox give the option to install the plugin :-@

4) Again truth. Ugh wireless is horrible, under ANY OS. My mum has the problem with Ubuntu that it refuses to remember the WPA key, and she struggles to type it in correctly. Under PCLinuxOS on my laptop the whole machine would crash hard (well, hard enough, I didn't know about REISUB then) if I tried to disable/re-enable the connection at any time after boot.
    I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Originally posted by cantab
      4) Again truth. Ugh wireless is horrible, under ANY OS. My mum has the problem with Ubuntu that it refuses to remember the WPA key, and she struggles to type it in correctly. Under PCLinuxOS on my laptop the whole machine would crash hard (well, hard enough, I didn't know about REISUB then) if I tried to disable/re-enable the connection at any time after boot.
      Except for Mac OS X, in my opinion. Wireless worked right out of box on my two Mac laptops. Granted it is easier for Apple because they control both software and hardware, but it's still impressive.

The problem with Linux and wireless is that not too many wireless chip manufacturers seem to produce drivers for Linux. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) I've long been wanting to buy a laptop and install Linux on it, but I can't make up my mind because of the potential issues with wireless networking.
      Registered Linux User: #281828 | Kubuntu User: #22280

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS
      Dell Precision Workstation T5500 (Xeon @ 2.13GHz x 2 / 12 GB RAM)

Comment

Originally posted by cantab
        3) Truth. Firefox actually handles it quite well - the problem is websites that check for it in javascript, and then refuse to even show you the applet, because only if a flash applet actually tries to load will Firefox give the option to install the plugin :-@
        One site that doesn't is myspace. After a fresh distro install with firefox the myspace of any band is always my first point of call so as to get a prompt to install flash.

Comment

Working...
        X