This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Semi-rant

I often try different linux distributions and occasionally I find a keeper; Tho, I never before tried an Ubuntu distribution.
    I decided to try Hardy Heron just to see what the buzz about. Since, I am a KDE devotee I picked Kubuntu and downloaded the live iso.

COMPLAINTS;
    (1) During bootup, it is not apparent how to set the verbose mode in order to read the bootup messages. On most live CDs, (and installed distributions) one can hit the <esc> key to switch to verbose.
    (2) I was unable to find, guess or set a root password. If one is doing a long series of administrative tasks, forgetting to prefix "sudo" is a constant annoyance. Ideally, I would open a terminal and "su - root".
    (3) Xorg does not correctly detect and configure my hardware (ECS-761 motherboard with SIS650 video controller); it mis-identifies the graphics controller (wrong model), but correctly loads the SIS driver: My Viewsonic VA902b is apparently not present in the devices database, although it is fairly old hardware. Visual artifacts in the form of flickering vertical lines appear on the screen of X-Windows. I did see this problem with debian-etch onc which I cleared by comparing the xorg.conf file with the same from a working Mandriva installation on the same hardware. However, in this case, no amount of tinkering seems to have an effect--IT APPEARS THAT CHANGES TO xorg.conf ARE IGNORED!

My feature request is that you adopt the knoppix hardware detection system and database. The efficacy of the knoppix system is superb and since it is a debian-based distribution, any necessary libraries should be readily available.

Re: Semi-rant

"When in Rome, learn as the Romans do."

sudo is not enabled 'by default' in *ubuntu. When root privileges are required, you are asked for your user password. If in a console, and you desire to operate as root, you can issue the command:
    Code:
    sudo su
    Enter your password and the prompt changes from a $ (user) to a # (root). Just be careful when operating this way. As a good practice, when you are done, and before closing the console, type exit and you will be returned to your user prompt ( $ ) and will no longer be functioning as root.

Welcome to the Kubuntu Forums.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
    X