X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A quite long list of my personal wishes

OK this my list of wishes for Hardy
    I have organized my wishes from installation to installing new programs...
    Installation:
    Before Kubuntu I have installed Ubuntu, which asked me if I want to import user settings from Win XP to Ubuntu, Kubuntu did no such thing (this is nice for all new users...)
    Auto detected hardware during installation and optional graphical effects based on your hardware.
    (I will explain why this later) You could choose less graphical effects than your hardware suports but not more.

Different types of users: Basic; Intermediate; Advanced and Developer:

Basic: Can't edit source codes, minimal usage of konsole, easy bug reporter (any kind of error or bug report would have button for direct report with description and code of erorr or bug; if bug or error was all ready solved it would prompt that and ask you if you want to download patch...; if error would appear due to users lack of experience (for example trying to install two thing at once, it should prevent this action from taking place and prompt why it was stopped).
    Almost no programing: maybe translation tool (to translate programs in different languages)
    and widget konstructor (where you could build your own add-ons; just like in Firefox)

Intermediate:
    Everything as Basic user; just added viewing of source code; bug notifier (it notifies user about bugs that others have encountered); Program where you can learn basic programing and meaning of source code.

Advanced:
    Same as intermediate: but with ability to download programs from other sources (not only canonical);
    can repair bug (even those that other users encountered; but with limitations)

Developer: A lot of developer programs; can repair bug with possibility of direct uploading of patch on ubuntu server for others to load.

I will refer to this user later on with first letter (B, I, A, D).
    You could be promoted from Beginner to Intermediate with some learning; maybe if you create some theme or widget and share it with others (system of points, if your widgets / themes are rated good you can promote to I level; the same for other two...)

Log on:
    Direct log on to KDE 4
    Possibility of switching between users as in WINs but not so buggy (is this all ready possible)

Desktop:
    I would really like to have this: http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php...6b6b0315d41026 (for better machines)
    Core package (no special effects):
    4 desktops; while changing from one desktop to another big number of the desktop would appear on it.
    Hot key for desktop changing (tab and number)
    scrolling on other desktops; hold and drag on corners (as in pdf reader)
    With special effects: 4 desktops would make an cube which would be rotational
    calendar widget which work with organizer (i forgot it's name and it's not available in KDE 4)
    Easier desktop personalization.

Pre-installed programs:
    some games package (B, I, A, D)
    Firefox with an nice KDE 4 / hardy theme... (B, I, A, D)
    All codecs (mpeg, mp3, unrar...) (B, I, A, D)
    Simple painting program similar to Paintbrush (B, I, A, D)

Add / remove programs:
    Add / remove program which would join synaptic and Adept
    Easier installation of non-Canonical software (B, I, A, D);
    possibility of adding new software sources (I, A, D)
    http://kde-apps.org among sources; direct update of KDE (is this already possible?)

I don't remember more now, but if i'll remember i'll post again
    Hope you like my ideas / please comment!

EDIT: I have remembered what else I would like to see:
    Pre-instaled Pidgin or Kopete with Google talk support
    Easy to use disk formating program as it is in Win XP
    Possibility to choose where to install if there are multiple disks
    (maybe something like disk naming: C: / D: ...
    Easy Backup with automatic milestone backing up before every update and after successful upgrade.
    And with easy reverting to these states...

Again EDIT: it would be nice if there would be an pre-installed internet security suite
    with firewall, Anti virus, anti spam... (even though on Linux for all of this; but just to be on a safe side )
    Something like kaspersky internet security suite...
    I'm magnet for errors, problems and bugs...

Re: A quite long list of my personal wishes

Couple of comments. Unfortunately not the most constructive ones I admit but...
    Firstly, re codecs, the reason these are not already included are legal ones, the current setup of prompted installs is a compromise based on this.
    Second, the import user settings for kubuntu is definitely something we should have.
    Third, just checking but you know kopete is installed and can handle gtalk already?
    Fourth, Firewall, essentially there is one in there by default currently it just doesn't come with any editor to change the default settings.

Comment

Originally posted by marshallbanana
      Couple of comments. Unfortunately not the most constructive ones I admit but...
      Firstly, re codecs, the reason these are not already included are legal ones, the current setup of prompted installs is a compromise based on this.
      Second, the import user settings for kubuntu is definitely something we should have.
      Third, just checking but you know kopete is installed and can handle gtalk already?
      Fourth, Firewall, essentially there is one in there by default currently it just doesn't come with any editor to change the default settings.
      What do you have to click to put gtalk on kopete?
      I'm magnet for errors, problems and bugs...

Comment

http://www.google.com/support/talk/b...n&answer=57557

gtalk is just jabber renamed.

Comment

Working...
        X