This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

autopartition /home

that's what I would like to see as a basic step in the installation: by default create its own partition for /home
    WE&#39;RE ALL BETTER OFF WHEN WE&#39;RE ALL BETTER OFF<br />User # 17645

Re: autopartition /home

As long as you can choose its size. And on a clean HD.Okay.
    But then again we do have manual partitioning
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

/agree Fintan.

It makes sense for it to be on its own partition, but most newbies aren't going to have *any* idea of how big it should be.

I just now tried to think of ways the installer might make this easier... but I think that anyone who knows the reason why this is a good idea should be more than able to use existing manual partitioning option.
      Specs:&nbsp; Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

In a similar mode of thinking... Windows overwrites the MBR on install. Many of us linux users have been upset by this at one time or another. MS did that for a reason, long before linux was moving into their market, it allows the system to work correctly after installation. It's more about making the system installation as easy as possible for the user. Ubuntu takes a similar mode of thinking with not having to try and figure out what the users configuration is, while at the same time making the system work for the user.

The major difference between linux and windows then comes down to control. Linux allows the user the control to configure many more options, while at the same time trying to make the system work for the user.

Mike
        http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

I would say it shouldn't be done by default. But it would be nice if there was a substep (during install) that let you choose to do that without having to go through the whole manual partition thing.
          https://www.linuxcounter.net/user/267216

Comment

Agreed - and nice to have a recipe that would auto partition using all available disks.

Comment

Working...
            X