This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

telnetd-ssl

I have telnetd running on several machines so I know that works. However, I wanted to use telnetd-ssl on my 8.04 box and so did an apt-get install telnetd-ssl. That appeared to work however, the response is always "Connection refused". I can SSH into this box but not telnet. How do I start this service?

Re: telnetd-ssl

Since installing telnetd-ssl, have you rebooted the PC?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Color me paranoid, but I always use SSH. Am I missing something?

Comment

Since installing telnetd-ssl, have you rebooted the PC?
        No. I'll do that right after breakfast and report back. I was looking for an init.d script too, and there isn't one (yet).

Color me paranoid, but I always use SSH. Am I missing something?
        Not all my machines are Linux. The SSH client I have is over 300K which is not even remotely acceptable, whereas the new Telnet client which I'm testing is 80K. When linux with SSH and a comfortable selection of applications will run off a 360K floppy, let me know.

Comment

After a reboot, the situation is the same. There is a /etc/telnet-ssl directory with a config and a key file. I cannot find any executable and the expected openbsd-initd file is nowhere in sight. I have a 8.04 Ubuntu server and a Kubuntu 9.04 desktop machine where it works fine. It is strange that it shows as installed, yet seems to be nowhere, nor do some of the dependencies. I am thinking that there is a conflict with something else which I have on this machine which doesn't exist on the others - but I can seem to see what.

I will try a purge and reinstall telnet-ssl.

Comment

It would appear that openbsd-inetd was not installed, so I did, but no change. I'm not sure about the other reported dependencies, but it seems that there could be some more that are missing. For example I've read that netkit-inetd is needed, but I can't find it in the repositories.

Here is what it says when I install telnetd-ssl:
            Setting up telnetd-ssl (0.17.24+0.1-19) ...
            Adding user telnetd-ssl to group utmp
            --------- IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR XINETD USERS ----------
            The following line will be added to your /etc/inetd.conf file:

telnet stream tcp nowait telnetd-ssl /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/in.telnetd

If you are indeed using xinetd, you will have to convert the
            above into /etc/xinetd.conf format, and add it manually. See
            /usr/share/doc/xinetd/README.Debian for more information.
            I can't find that README any more, but I couldn't understand it anyway. I'm not sure that it is relevant because I don't know how to find out if I am using xinetd. I've spend quite a bit of time on this already, so unless anyone has any other ideas on how to install telnetd-ssl, then I'll have to do without for now. That's OK - I'm flexible.

Comment

I continue my testing of telnet clients (in DOS) and this time, after a short delay, my 8.04 box responds properly. I don't know what to make of that. Trying from other Linux machines also works now.

This is three days after my last report where it didn't work! I have not installed anything and I have not rebooted. I seem to recall a similar occurrence when I installed an SSH server. I took quite a while before it woke up.

Comment

Working...
              X