This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samba sharing ALMOST working

I've been sharing files using smb4k for several years now. It works fine, but since I'm home sick with a cold I thought I'd try to get file sharing working using the network area of Doplhin. I set my file server up as a WINS server and pointed the other Linux machines to it. I modified the nsswitch.conf file to add WINS. Now I can see all the shares without using smb4k. I can copy, paste and rename files. BUT...if I try to open an OpenOffice or PDF file it will not open (haven't tried any others). So it seems like I've got access except through applications.

I've tried both user and share security settings, and both Kubuntu 8.04 and LinuxMint5 machines with KDE3.5 work the same. Any ideas?

Oh - and I can open the files on Windows machines.

Re: Samba sharing ALMOST working

not sure about PDF's, but I know for a fact that open office files won't mount off of a shared drive...

mm0
    Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Maybe that's it and I just got "lucky" trying a OO doc as my test. JPG and MP3 seem to work OK. I can open the same OO docs using smb4k though.

Comment

when you use samba4k, are you mounting the drive to a local folder? that is the only way I have gotten it to work in the past...but using dolphin doesn't work...

mm0
        Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Yes, I use the smb4k GUI to mount the drive, which then shows up off the /home/xxx/smb4k folder. It's worked fine, just a little clunky having to remount the drives after each boot (the restore option does not seem to work). I can at least use dolphin to browse to files now, and some I can open that way.

Comment

This is an old thread, but it is what I used to use to automount samba shares...the principles should still work just fine...click here.

mm0

Comment

Thanks - maybe that's the best solution. I only really need to mount one drive for my file server on a routine basis.

Comment

Bombed out on: "sudo chmod a+x ~/.kde/Autostart/mountNAS.sh"

The response was: "chmod: cannot access `/root/.kde/Autostart/mountNAS.sh': No such file or directory"

Should the command have been "sudo chmod a+x /home/<username>/.kde/Autostart/mountNAS.sh" ?

Comment

Originally posted by CentaurHauler
                  Should the command have been "sudo chmod a+x /home/<username>/.kde/Autostart/mountNAS.sh" ?
                  NO!! The mountNAS.sh file is in your user .kde directory. Just issue the chmod as your self - no sudo.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Well, that didn't work. I copied the command sequence as written in the referenced link, but either I flubbed the strings or something else is wrong. It will not accept that string without sudo, but I did not get a share anyway.

Late, going to bed.....

Comment

it's probably one of those files with root-write only perms... try this (as your user):

cd ~ ; sudo chmod a+x ./.kde/Autostart/mountNAS.sh
                      # make install --not-war

Comment

Well, it accepted that command, but the folder I created is empty. Clearly the network drive was not mounted.

Comment

Why not just mount the share by editing /etc/fstab? You only need one line to get it to work correctly and it will boot on startup everytime.

//$servername/$sharename /mnt/samba smbfs username=username,password=password 0 0
                          or something similar?

you might need to use cifs as the file system type rather than smbfs depending on your samba version.

Also when you say you cannot get access through applications, do you mean you cannot use the file>open command from within the application and browse to the shared folder?
                          Rob

Comment

Working...
                          X