Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how-to shutdown linux remotly over lan??? (partialy solved-more stuff to come)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: how-to shutdown linux remotly over lan (partialy solved-more stuff to come)

im using this topic as a reference for the x11
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3093184.0
    posting what happens

Comment

if i run a command like kate from ssh it gives an error
      kate: cannot connect to x server
      That is because kate is a GUI program, it is not just your regular text editor.
      You need to install a normal text editor on your server, or use one that is already there. My favourite is ne:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install ne
      but nano, or joe, or vim, are all suitable choices.
      With ne you type "ne filename" to use it and use F1 to get a dropdown help menu.

I gotta do dinner etc... I'll see if I have any other ideas later.

Comment

Cygwin? I know almost nothing about it, but what would the MS-Windows environment impose on it, regarding the security model and file name limitations? What were you going to do with it?

Comment

Originally posted by Ole Juul
          That is because kate is a GUI program, it is not just your regular text editor.

Originally posted by Ole Juul
          Cygwin? What were you going to do with it?
          exactly that i want to do with cygwin... emulate an X11 and connect to the linux box and use kate or other gui-based progs from the win box... easy right lol

Comment

Cygwin sounds like a difficult route to me, and aren't you just trying to re-invent VNC? Perhaps what you are really looking for is something http based. Campcaster is one such, but probably overkill. Also, I haven't tried it yet, but don't many of the media players, like VLC for instance, read files from a URL and using plain old FTP?

Comment

Originally posted by Nakrull

What happens if you start ssh with the -X flag?

Comment

to witsh ip should it connect to the client or to the server

there are both ips

ssh -X 192.168.1.14 (server)
                /usr/bin/X11/xauth: error in locking authority file /home/britta/.Xauthority

ssh -X 192.168.1.15 (client)
                ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.15 port 22: Connection refused

well there must be hundreds of players that can but im used to vlc and it works on kubuntu n win

also why go the easy way if u can go the hard way... the experience gained is much greater if u go the hard way... cheers

Comment

to get a bether idea there are some more error msgs

britta@britta-desktop:~$ xhost
                  X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.
                  xhost: unable to open display "localhost:12.0"

britta@britta-desktop:~$ startx
                  xauth: /home/britta/.Xauthority not writable, changes will be ignored
                  xauth: error in locking authority file /home/britta/.Xauthority

X: user not authorized to run the X server, aborting.
                  giving up.
                  xinit: Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X server
                  xinit: No such process (errno 3): unexpected signal 2.

there is no display conected to the server there was one but im using it now so her is the sudo

britta@britta-desktop:~$ sudo startx
                  [sudo] password for britta:

X.Org X Server 1.4.0.90
                  Release Date: 5 September 2007
                  X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
                  Build Operating System: Linux Ubuntu (xorg-server 2:1.4.1~git20080131-1ubuntu9.2)
                  Current Operating System: Linux britta-desktop 2.6.24-24-generic #1 SMP Wed Apr 15 15:54:25 UTC 2009 i686
                  Build Date: 13 June 2008 01:08:21AM

Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
                  to make sure that you have the latest version.
                  Module Loader present
                  Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
                  (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
                  (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
                  (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Tue Sep 22 13:34:14 2009
                  (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"

(II) Module "ddc" already built-in
                  (II) Module "i2c" already built-in
                  (EE) intel(0): No valid modes.
                  (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
                  no screens found
                  giving up.
                  xinit: Connection reset by peer (errno 104): unable to connect to X server
                  xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.

so there u have it i hope it can shed light on some other problems whit X that i would need to solve before using it

Comment

Assuming you have a user account called britta on the server, did you try
                    Code:
                    ssh -X britta@192.168.1.14 konsole

Comment

britta@britta-desktop:~$ ssh -X britta@192.168.1.14 konsole]
                      britta@192.168.1.14's password:
                      Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding.
                      /usr/bin/X11/xauth: error in locking authority file /home/britta/.Xauthority
                      bash: konsole]: command not found

Comment

I am replying to many posts here, but I think they are all still relevant. If you ssh from linux1 to linux2 with
                        Code:
                        ssh -XY linux2
                        X programs run on linux2 should display on linux1 because your DISPLAY environment variable on linux2 will point at a tunnel to linux1.

To run X programs on a Windoze machine use Putty and Cygwin's Xserver. Cygwin is easy. Download the installer and run it. It wil allow yo to select which packages you want to install. You can use commandline ssh from Cygwin but putty is much faster. You can set Cygwin to start the Xserver on login so when you make a putty connection with X forwarding set you can run Kate on the linux machine and it displays on your Windoze machine. I see you were headed toward that and it does work, and is much faster than VNC. You should also investigate Pagent (included with putty) and keychain.

Winscp is a free secure sftp and scp client for Windoze. If you are interested in security it is much better than ftp, which sends your password in clear text over the network. When you installed the openssh-server you also got the sftp server.

Comment

ok cygwin is not so easy if u dont know witch packages to install lol... so just leave it there

how do i use the putty xterm
                          i figure that if i have the ssh up n runnig whit n X there wont be any use for a ftp... i dont need n ftp just jet so lets just stick whit ssh for now... and i already use the sftp from openssh n the psftp from putty but thks anyway

from linux to linux isnt an issue since both have X on it and any prog would run from the other pc

i really should order this topic
                          cheers

Comment

I think if you select the FVWM window manager in Cygwin you will get everything you need. Included will be a batch script, IIRC startxwin.bat. I usually comment the line that starts an Xterm and use that script. When it starts it will put an X icon in your tray and you can use this to stop it.

In putty use the panel on the left to select the options you want, including Xforwarding, then just connect and it works.

Comment

well my putty doesnt read some of the errors above maybe u get some ideas to solve this thks

error in locking authority file /home/britta/.Xauthority
                              here is the issue i think

Comment

im making a new topic on the specific subject of
                                openssh, putty and X11

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106592.0

since this topic has moved far far away from the original question and other dont join the discussion cheers n thanks to all
                                see you in the other topic

Comment

Working...
                                X