This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Can see Shared printers from Windows but not from Kubuntu

I have a printer on a machine running Kubuntu 8.04, and I can see it and print to it just fine from both XP and Vista. However, I cannot see it from any of my machines running either 8.04 or Mint5. Looking at smb4k I can see that the printer share shows up, but CUPS never sees it. In reality, I have another machine with Mint5 and a printer, and it has the same issue. This seems like it is the opposite problem most have regarding printing.

Below is the output from SWAT:

[global]
    workgroup = XXXXXXX
    server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
    map to guest = Bad User
    obey pam restrictions = Yes
    passdb backend = tdbsam
    pam password change = Yes
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
    unix password sync = Yes
    syslog = 0
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 1000
    dns proxy = No
    usershare allow guests = Yes
    panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
    invalid users = root

[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    printer admin = root
    create mask = 0660
    directory mask = 0700
    guest ok = Yes
    printable = Yes
    case sensitive = No
    browseable = No

One thing I find curious is that my smb.conf file clearly has browseable = Yes, but it is apparently over-ridden somewhere - no matter what I do SWAT says it is set to No. I would appreciate any help in getting this working, as it is really the last thing I have to solve.

Re: Can see Shared printers from Windows but not from Kubuntu

Open the CUPS interface in your browser, http://localhost:631 and click on the Administration tab, and see if the block is checked by "Show printers shared by other systems".

Comment

Thanks - that sorta worked. I can now print from the Linux machines, but on some the driver is apparently not correct - and since I'm not really installing the printer this way I cannot change the driver.

By changing the share settings on the machine with the shared printer and checking the Public option, I can now see the share when I try to install it, but I still can't get it to work. I'll keep trying.

Comment

For me, I use static IP's on my home network and install the printers on the network using the ipp address.

Comment

Well I got it working. I had to set it up using the format:

ipp://192.168.1.101:631/printers/DESKJET_840C

My IP addresses seem to be fairly stable, but I should set up my router to make them permanent I guess.

Comment

Yes, glad to see it's working, but I would recommend static IPs for reliability. If the computer the printer is attached to gets rebooted,that will insure the same IP is used. It's easy to do.

Comment

Working...
            X