This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB wireless adapter not shown

ok, so i've spent the last several hours searching to the far reaches of the web looking for help. now i'm asking for help from anyone who knows how to solve this problem.

i just picked up two Mvix Nubbin USB wireless adapters that were said to work with Linux.
    even though i prefer a wired network and have a high level of knowledge working with Windows networking, but i haven't dealt with Kubuntu wireless Internet until now.

both machines have fresh installs of 8.04 (with updates), but with Knetworkmanager removed and wicd installed.

wireless-tools have been installed.
    ndiswrapper-common ndiswrapper-utils-1.9 and ndisgtk are installed.

i've gone to the mvixUSA website to get the .zip file has the .tar.bz2 file... unpacked that and the README file was making little sense and vague with its steps to adjust the "Makefile" file.

i've done repo searches for "Ralink" but didn't know which to install so i didn't do any.
    one program for using Windows drivers wanted a driver file (.inf) but when locating it on the supplied disk, it said it needed to see that the adapter was plugged in first... so it didn't install.

iwconfig
    Code:
    lo    no wireless extensions.
    eth0   no wireless extensions.
    vboxnet0 no wireless extensions.
    lsusb
    Code:
    Bus 005 Device 007: ID 054c:01f6 Sony Corp.
    Bus 005 Device 006: ID 050d:0805 Belkin Components Nostromo N50 GamePad
    Bus 005 Device 005: ID 07b8:3071 D-Link Corp.
    Bus 005 Device 002: ID 05e3:0606 Genesys Logic, Inc. D-Link DUB-H4 USB 2.0 Hub
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 004 Device 003: ID 045e:0040 Microsoft Corp. Wheel Mouse Optical
    Bus 004 Device 002: ID 06a3:0728 Saitek PLC
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    (at that moment, my crappy backup mouse, saitek keyboard, belkin gamepad, and sony dvd r/w were hooked up along with the USB network device)

please.... how do i get this thing up and running? if i could, i'd use a wired connection, but as all the ports on the router are taken (and i've never found a router with more than only 4 ports), i gave into doing wireless. the wireless is secured with a WAP encryption.

thank you to any helpful advice.
    Thermaltake Armor chassis<br />Intel Pentium D 960 @ 3.6Ghz<br />4GB DDR2 memory @ PC2-5300<br />6x internal SATA HDD [4.27TB total]<br />1x external 1,000GB HDD via firewire<br />nVidia GeForce 7950 GX2 Extreme<br />52&quot; LCD HDTV | 1920 X 1080p rez<br />Saitek Cyborg keyboard | SilverStone Raven mouse<br />running Kubuntu 10.04

Re: USB wireless adapter not shown

Did you see "MVIX Nubbin Wireless-N USB Adapter & Jaunty?" at http://mydellmini.com/forum/dell-min...er-jaunty.html ?

Particularly the last post which says:

"I tired (tried?) it and am returning it, I have ordered the Intel 5300 card with three antennas instead.

I tried it in Ubuntu, I was able to connect and after so (no?) fun with wireless connection manager was able to connect only on N speeds with the Nubbin (Ralink). I was getting better signal strength and faster speeds on the broadcom B/G card. There is no linux documentation included in print or on the included CD, after contacting support to see if there was an update I missed they send me a link to the source code for new drivers over at the RalLink site, their help pages included info on how to update in OS X but no mention of Ubuntu (or Linux) at all.

This card is not worth the money when you can pick up an internal b/g for the same price, and can more easily use those cards with Aircrack-ng and BackTrack. I haven't tried the nubbin in OS X or Windoze, but have been displeased with the results in Ubuntu 9.04 Netbook Remix. "

"A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Re: USB wireless adapter not shown

well, good news i have "Windows Wireless Drivers" able to recognize when the Nubbin is plugged in or not.
      bad news is, when though "lsusb" sees the network adapter as "Bus 005 Device 008: ID 07b8:3071 D-Link Corp." it isn't picked up by "lshw -C network".
      (interesting how the company selling this is Mvix but the 'lsusb' command saying it's a D-Link device... hmmm)

yes, this thing is more trouble than it's worth. i saw a lot of great reviews on it but after going back over them it would seem they were all from Windows users.

crap

time to get an RMA number!
      Thermaltake Armor chassis<br />Intel Pentium D 960 @ 3.6Ghz<br />4GB DDR2 memory @ PC2-5300<br />6x internal SATA HDD [4.27TB total]<br />1x external 1,000GB HDD via firewire<br />nVidia GeForce 7950 GX2 Extreme<br />52&quot; LCD HDTV | 1920 X 1080p rez<br />Saitek Cyborg keyboard | SilverStone Raven mouse<br />running Kubuntu 10.04

Comment

Working...
      X