X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Realtek wireless issues

Hello world!

I'd first like to say that i realize this issue has probably been tackled and solved before, but because I did look around for solutions and found none that seemed to suit my situation, I'm trying this approach instead. Therefore i apologize if this topic is redundant.

I'd also like to say that I've played around with linux for some years now, nothing really serious, but i know my way around the system to some extent. This is also my first time posting to a forum

The issue at hand is simple. I've tried several linux distro's on my laptop (Toshiba Satellite A210-MS408C), and all of the latest desktop environments lag, most likely due to graphics card issues. Hence i decided to try 8.04 since its got the old KDE 3.5, and it actually runs great.

The problem is that while other distributions I've tried (Fedora 10 for example) immediately detected my wireless and it worked without problems, with Kubuntu 8.04 (and even 9.04), my wireless adapter is not detected and i am unable to view or connect to any wireless network.

My wireless adapter is: Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8187B Wireless Adapter (that's straight out of lsusb in Fedora 10)

Any help or direction towards a solution is much appreciated.

Re: Realtek wireless issues (solved)

I successfully solved my wireless problem for now. Here's how i did it:

Using ndiswrapper, i followed the instructions found here in the Ubuntu forums:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...TL+8187B+8187B

*Note the download link for the windows 98 driver for RTL8187B.

I originally tried the packages from the realtek site (Vista, windows 2000, XP) with no success. However, using the windows 98 driver, it works perfectly so far.

Comment

Working...
    X